VBA32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Any news on VBA32? There haven't been any posts in their forum. My license has expired any I was wondering if there have been any improvements on it. There are things, like reduced memory usage, that was supposed to be improved upon. Has it.

Guess I'm just a little curious.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

check out the latest test on av-comparatives.

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

The latest news on their website is: 2006-08-23 VBA32 3.11.1 released.

anyway, you could switch to a better AV. Just watch the av-comparatives.org test results.

4. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I've always heard that VBA32 has a loooot of false positives. Maybe you should switch?

5. n8chavez

Well VBA32 has three levels of heuristic detection. I suspect that the false positives that were detected were done so with VBA32 using extreme heuristics. The May 06 av-comparatives retrospective test listed VBA32 at 56%, second only to NOD32. So it does have great heuristics. I like the product very much but have not used it as my primary AV on my primary machine. I think VBA32 has the most potential out of any AV. I've tried every AV there is, probably literally, and VBA32 "feels" right to me. There are others that do as well; Dr Web.

My purpose in this thread is not to debate the effectiveness of VBA, but rather to ask if there have been any recent chages that might intise my to use VBA32. This is an AV that I am looking for a reason, any reason, to once again use and trust. Sadly, it does not look like that is going to happen.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  6. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Sadly the last time I installed VBA32 it was much the same, as stated on the forums there they are pulling out of all the major test sites and are re-looking at the program. They are still updating sigs daily and there seems to have been large update on the 29th of Sept from looking at the FTP so it may be worth another install and update. If I get a second I may try it out later on today.

7. n8chavez

Ah, a word from the VBA faithful. That's great to hear. I'm glad it's still being updated. And, as you have many of the same concerns as I do, could you please let me know what your findings are once you reinstall VBA, if indeed you do?

VBA32 is relatively cheap. So if they can get their act together I think it could be a great AV. Like I've said, VBA32 is a great minor league AV that just can't seem to get in to the majors.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The Vba32 forum is still there.
    If you check it out n8chavez,your last post was answered with an offer of a discount.Like 13 days ago!

I rarely get f/p's with Vba32.Then again,I don't use the highest setting for heuristics.

9. n8chavez

Why is that relevant here? Price does not matter as much as capabilities, else Kaspersky would have no users.

Bingo!! That's what leads to salse positives and why people don't believe VBA32 has great heuristics.

10. dan_maran

All nonsense aside here is the latest from my end:

Install was ok as usual, 1 reboot, then a semi-large update(see cap),
    System feels a little sluggish, mem usage went up again... , I thought maybe
    with the kernel update it may be a little lighter but it seems heavier. It might be because I have not been using an AV for about a week, :) and before that I was using Antivir.

See caps below.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.5c468a5d46.jpg

Attached Files:

11. n8chavez

Thanks likuidkewl. That is exactly what I was looking for. I wish there were better results though. Didn't Mitya say that memory requirements would go down? This is a real shame. It is a good product, but 50K is ridiculous.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  12. the Tester

What makes that info relevant is the fact that there has indeed been more posts at the forum.
    It's just an answer to your post-

13. n8chavez

There was one post, not posts. And it was yours, which by the way included the same information you gave here. That was not at all helpful. You cannot create your own proof and then use it to prove your claim. That's not how things are done in a logical argument.

14. the Tester

You should go back and count the posts after looking at the dates.
    You must have missed the response from the Vba32 rep.

15. n8chavez

What are you talking about? I did not miss Mitya's response about the discount, posted 9/18/06.

Either way it is moot. You are not helping. You are just trying to be argumentative.

16. the Tester

No n8chavez.

I won't argue about some of your points.
    As a matter of fact your complaint about resource usage is a valid concern.
    Moreso for you because I have more time left on my license.I can wait longer.

As for resource usage-
    As I post this Vba32 loader is at 65,220K.
    That according Task Manager.

17. n8chavez

Ok then, I'm not the only one that has this problem. In fact your resource usage is higheer than average. When I used it, it reflected the above screenshot. I can't understand why VBA32 doesn't have this in check. It is the single most important reason why I will not use their product. That's a shame too because I like it very much

They should listen to their customers.

18. the Tester

Nope.
    You aren't the only one that experienced that problem.
    I can't say for sure,but memory usage may be higher of late.

19. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Hi n8
    Saw your post on Vba forum.
    Haven't seen any improvement on mem usage, but like you, I'd like to see it get streamlined a bit. Still not unreasonable though, in comparison with some other AVs/suites.
    I haven't been plagued with many FPs.
    If memory usage is a make-or-break issue on your box, maybe consider Dr Web.
    Private bytes on my mach is <4 Mb! (without Spider Mail).
    With their migration policy you can pick up for $14.00.

20. Siarheika

Siarheika AV Expert

Well, probably it was stated not clearly enough and resulted in some misunderstanding. We just mentioned that we decided not to submit our antivirus for current VB100% test at that time. But we did not make any effort to pull out from any other testing. As a matter of fact, we are getting quite a big update prepared internally, which will contain a memory usage optimizations as one of the features and also improve detection rate and heuristics. As soon as we get it released, we will be better prepared for different testings :)

Sure we are updating signatures as new malware appears in the wild every day. As for the larger size of update, it had some minor engine tweaks, more executable packers support added and some other changes. Check whatsnew.txt file for reference, current update still does not have memory usage optimizations, otherwise it would have been mentioned.

As we already replied to you many times in private e-mails and other forum posts, we know about this issue, it is quite high priority for us and we are working on optimizing memory use. It requires some nontrivial changes to the engine, so it is easier said than done, but we have some quite good positive results internally already. As soon as it gets ready for public testing, it will be released as beta, followed by a production release later.

21. n8chavez

All of that us very nicer to hear. As I said before, I am looking for any positive reason to use VBA32 again. I like it very much but changes need to be made to it in order for it to get to "the big leagues." There are others that feel the same way that I'm sure are letting out a slight sigh of relief at this news.

VBA32 just "feels" right for me, like Dr Web once did. Whixh BTW is a very good AV. There are features in VBA that I've requested, or hoped for in other products because they are so....for the lack of a better wordm good. Multi-level heuristics is one of those. I still say VBA32 has the strongest, and when properly tweaked best, heurstics availavle. Which if NOD has taught us anything is a great way to go.

22. dan_maran

This is great to hear, I was getting worried as to the status of the company with not a word mentioned the past few weeks.
    I think a few words on your website or forum may have helped dispell the sour feelings people were/are getting. But as this has been discussed before I will not dwell on it here.

Current Whatsnew file is 25.08.06.... ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.