VBA32 rant

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I've posted this at the VBA32 forum but no one seems to be going there anymore. So I figured this is the next best place.

I've used every malware product on the market, as those who visit the Wilders forum can attest to. For some reason VBA32 keeps entering my mind as an AV of choice for one of my systems. But why should people choose VBA32? Yes, it has good detection and great heuristics. But at what costs? VBA32 has been increasingly and needlessly resource hungry as can be seen by using the last couple builds. Its installation requires more and more space; nearly 40 meg. Its RTM requires more CPU and RAM useage. This is not good. Especially is you're trying to crack your way it to an already crowded AV market. Take a lesson from NOD32 and Dr Web; small and efficient is better that large and slugish every time. We do not need another F-Secure, Panda, or Symantec. VBA is better than that but seems to be going in the wrong direction. What good is an AV if it cannot be run? VBA32 is good, sure but it has a long way to go.

It is a great AV but it needs to work on resource usage in every aspect. It is no longer the lightweight AV it once was. There are rumors about changes to the RTM, but those have not been elaborated on nor have they been confirmed.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hey n8chavez,

I thought that you got squared away after you did a good registry cleaning.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I see you have visited the VBA32 forum. That's nice to see. My problem with not being able to scan items via the context menu has beeen solved. This is because of the registry cleaning (via Regvac). That problem is no longer. But there are still plenty of things I wish would change about VBA32 as you can see from reading my "rant." Don't get me wrong I very much like VBA32 and am considering purchasing a two years licence for it. But the current trend of recent releases using more and more resources cannot continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.