VB100 RAP Test Feb-Aug 2010

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hckyo, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Kaspersky reactive as well as proactive protection, both are top-notch.
    Strangely, BullGuard score is better than BitDefender, although BullGuard is using BitDefender engine?

3. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

F-Secure is also using the BitDefender engine but scoring better: probably because they put their own technology in (Backlight and some behavior-based stuff).

4. Boyfriend

F-Secure is also using the BitDefender engine? Does not it have its own engine? BTW, Thanks for info.

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

F-Secure indeed uses the BitDefender engine, but it also added some of its inhouse technology: BlackLight (anti-rootkit) and some behavior-based protection (DeepGuard; which is also cloud-based).

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/products/technologies/blacklight/

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/products/technologies/deepguard/

I do actually think F-Secure is the best BitDefender based security application.
    - based on a good engine, but without the usual BitDefender bugs;
    - plus added its own good technology, BlackLight really is a good anti-rootkit and the DeepGuard next-gen (behavior/cloud based) module actually works: just like AVG's IDP and G Data's Behavior Blocker, but unlike the useless avast! and Avira solutions;
    - it has an great easy to use interface, a really nice clean design (this is just my opinion; but I really think it is one of the best GUI's);
    - stable;
    - not that expensive;
    - and one thing which I really like: it gives you the option to install Internet Security WITHOUT parental control (I hate all parental control things: a reason for me just to stay with the Anti Virus-variant; so I would buy Norton AV instead of NIS for this reason, also with Kaspersky since version 2011 doesn't have a configurable installer).

It uses quite some RAM (around 60MB I think), but it is quite light on CPU; so it actually doesn't feel heavy.

(Actually I installed this on my parents machine: their internet provider offers this suite as an not too expensive option.)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
  6. Boyfriend

Thanks Matthijs5nl for information. I will try F-Secure soon. BitDefender is good engine.

7. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

We will see Panda again in the upcoming AV-Comparatives Test...
    -BUT-
    Dr.Web
    is ABSENT from EVERY Test!

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I heard somewhere that Dr.Web has shifted focus to the Russian market and does not concentrate so much on its international operations anymore. Just a rumour, but with the lack of fresh information (i.e. tests), it does seem to ring true......:doubt:

9. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

In the last 2-3 years they have gained a great deal of growth in their enterprise business. If you read their news announcements for the last couple of years you will see it. I'm willing to guess that the vast majority of Dr. Web's income comes from their enterprise business now. Consumer business is probably tiny compared to the enterprise. So, Dr. Web probably doesn't feel the need to attract consumer customers by participating in testing, ect.

I use to be a Dr. Web customer. But I noticed that development of their consumer software slowed to a snails pace. While they focused resources toward their enterprise solutions. I got tired of it and moved on to other anti-virus software. I really liked Dr. Web. It ran light and trouble free for me.

It looks like work on their consumer products have picked up a little lately. I may take another look at Dr. Web.

10. OPSWAT

OPSWAT Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.