Various error problems with Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by DDCchik, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDCchik

DDCchik Registered Member

I have been a long time user (since the 80s) of Symantec Products but decided to use Nod32 on this computer (one of 4) as a test because their performance has been so consistently highly rated. It is the full version not a trial and I have been running it for about 9 months. I am not as familiar with Nod32 as I am with other AV products although I have used several over the years.

Nod32 has recently - about the last 4 weeks - started to ask me to make Outlook my default email client. The error message comes up on each startup of the computer and each time I open Nod32 to do a manual scan. I would need a gun held to my head before I would use Outlook for anything. I use Mozilla as my default browser and my default email client. How can I disable this error message or have Nod32 recognise Mozilla as the default?

Nod32 is not automatically updating even though it is set to update on connection. I can manually update but only after about 4 error messages about the download file being corrupt. What settings do I need to change to have the updates operate correctly?

When scanning I get a message that Pagefile.sys is 'locked' by another application and can't be scanned. There is no reason that this should be the case. This error occurred from the day of installation on a brand new computer and before any other security software was loaded. I can't find a registry entry that is not standard relevant to pagefile.sys. It is set to 512MB rather than dymanic.

My apologies if these have been answered elsewhere and I've missed them.

AMD 1900 Notebook, XP Pro (OEM), Office XP (OEM), Nod32, Outpost, Tauscan

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi DDCchik,

I wonder if the following thread will help with your "Outlook" problem.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18916

I have always accepted the pagefile.sys message at face value because the file is always in use. Perhaps someone else will clarify if this is not normal or necessary.

Cannot comment on your update problem, however I seem to recall a few threads that dealt with similar issues. No doubt someone will point out a solution for the problem.

Regards
    Optigrab

3. Taff

Taff Guest

if you have two email progs in XP ie outloos express and ythe other email prog - uninstall one - nod gets confused worked for me Cheers :)

4. sig

sig Registered Member

The thread Optigrab linked to has the solution for the Outlook error message.

By the way, having more than one email client installed in itself is not a problem for NOD. At least not in my experience.

5. DDCchik

Thank you for the quick responses and the help.

I had read the Outlook message thread before I posted. I had changed the MAPI setting but still had the problem. But a second look showed that in 'Objects to diagnose' 'email files' was also unticked not just 'Use MAPI interface'. Unticking the email files seems to have the trick. But it is still a puzzle that the error message insists on Outlook when Outlook Express is also installed on all Windows systems by default.

I have read several of the manual update problem posts and there doesn't seem to be an answer yet. I can just keep doing what I'm doing now as I do eventually get the updates. Automatic as per schedule would be nice. I have changed the schedule to 4 hourly to see if that works. My ISP filters for viruses so I have that extra layer.

Does Nod 32 itself 'lock' the pagefile.sys?

6. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hello,
    No, NOD doesn't lock pagefile.sys
    That file is a part of Microsoft Windows and can't be modified or something like that, so NOD or others AV can't read them but no virus or malware can infect them.

7. DDCchik

I have done some research and backtracking to the start of the 'Make Outlook the default' problem and believe it may have started when I mistakenly got Hijack this to fix:

'10 Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'imon.dll' missing'

The imon.dll in question that got fixed would have been the Nod32 imon.dll file.

If this is the cause of the problem it may also explain the
    'Érror 623: The system could not find phonebook entry for this connection' message that I have been getting when I click on a link in Mozilla. The links still work but I get the error message - click OK and things act as normal.

Can I simply reverse the Hijack This fix. I keep all the backup logs.

8. DDCchik

All fixed - error messages gone :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.