variety of trojans?where is the problem?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by vidhya_80in, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vidhya_80in

vidhya_80in Registered Member

browser hijack and trojans...started with smitfraud.c

hey,
    i've been having a lotta problems ever since the
    Trojan-spy.html.smitfraud.c virus got into my system...i did the
    steps that were suggested and hopefully got rid of it..Now the problem is that this virus doesn't exist but a lotta new trojans get into my computer everytime i go on the net.i did a series of checks with possible anti spyware tools like
    Ad-aware SE
    Ccleaner
    SpyBot S&D
    XoftSpy
    Spyware Blaster
    i am using kaspersky to scan my computer..i initially had norton systemworks installed and updated.When the trojan-smitfraud virus got into the system norton started behaving wierd with a number of pop-up menus saying "Sending message 1/1" and smitfraud wudn't get out..uninstalled norton and the problem seemed to have gone.So got kaspersky installed.

the system is clean of all the viruses when offline and then i go online and it picks up varieties of trojans..like Opaserv worm,dyfuca.gen which don't get out and a whole lot of W32 viruses.am trying to clean these viruses in the safe mode.
    Also my internet explorer homepage has got set to www.abcsearch4u.com (browser hijack) and a new application called powerscan has also got downloaded and installed.Am Unable to find where it is in the system...saw this in the start menu.
    I might not be very clear in this post coz i dunno what to say...any
    kinda questions might help me give you a clearer picture....Please help...Am very scared to go online in that computer..Can someone tell me what are the precautions that i've to take before i go online and what else i can do to get out of this mess..i've been trying out everything possible for the past three days..nothing seems to really help...
    any kind of suggestions would be highly valuable...Please help...Thanku..

vidya

edited to disable hijack link - Detox

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  2. ravin

ravin Registered Member

try downloading webroot spysweeper trial version. it should detect and fix a variety of problems including your homepage hijack. Hope this helps.

3. ravin

ravin Registered Member

one other software to definitly try to keep the trojans at bay is ewido. as for where do they all come from the answer is - let one in and they call all their friends. :cool:

4. vidhya_80in

vidhya_80in Registered Member

i'll definitely download and try that software...hope atleast that helps...

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If you do not have a firewall installed then download the free version of Zonealarm. Disable the IDS in Kaspersky, if you install ZA, how to:http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=897

Download the trial of http://www.ewido.net/en/, if you are using XP/2000

Also consider using a hostfile:http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm, easy, free & effective

Installed all three and update all your security-programs, use the extended databases in Kaspersky (found in "Threats and exclusions") + the maxprotection level in on-demand setting and go into safemode and run all of the Ad/Spyware, AV, AT programs in safemode and clean/delete everything you find.

Safemode:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NoIdea2680

Your post was split to this thread which is an ongoing thread on smitfraud.

7. Its very possible that one of the Applications you are using is allowing the Trojans in. AIM messenger or another messenger.

Is File Sharing enable anywhere

Re-check all your system settings. Make certain that Install On Demand Is Dis-abled In Internet Explorer. Tweak all your "ZONES" in internet explorer. Someone around here may be able to point you in the direction of a website that will show you how to properly set internet explorer. If you do not use internet explorer its still good to tweak the Zones just in case it is ever needed.

Dis-able "download" in every Zone until you need to use it.

Which Java are you using. Install Sun Java

you need to locate what and where the trojans are being allowed in at. Until you do they will just keep coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.