Variant of Win32/ELEX

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by HealingStargate, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

Question. I got the following notice after a scan this morning. It was put in quarantine. I attempted to send to ESET but got a notice of an error in sending. I did delete the file and am wondering what it was and if anyone has any thoughts about it being a FP or if it would have been better not to have deleted it.
    XP/32 SSv6 with everything up to date. Pre release updates checked.
    Thank you. KOR-

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{C2436ADD-C27F-4DC1-8DD7-27F961E2B28A}\RP1002\A0150433.exe » INNO » {tmp}\v9iob.exe - a variant of Win32/ELEX potentially unwanted application

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi HealingStargate.

I searched the Net for v9iob.exe and found that it possibly could be a file connected to the Avant Browser, but it could also be connected to applications named..."V9hometools" and "Studio Application" so do you currently have any of them installed, or have you had any of them installed previously at some point? I personally have zero knowledge about the latter two.

I also see that ESET detected it as an PUA wich means that it isn't necessarily dangerous, but that it could perform/add unwanted things.

HTH :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

Thank you SweX for looking it up. I did have Avant Browser running several years ago.
    ESET never picked up on it until this morning. Anyway, I deleted what ESET found and quarantined, and so that is that. I have no knowledge of "Studio Application". Thank you again.
    KOR-

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You are welcome :)

Then I would say that it was a remnant of the Avant Browser (not the browser itself) in a restore point that ESET picked up, but it's nothing to worry about now after you deleted it :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.