Valve Steam for Linux: Is This Wishing?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Searching_ _ _, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=source_linux&num=1

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...he-way-left-4-dead-carries-linux-binaries.ars

I think if this were true and would happen, a lot of people might go to Linux as a defacto OS. Maybe enough to create an OS paradigm shift. Gaming is one of the largest market driving forces so it would be cool to see advanced games on Linux.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that is great news!
    Hopefully it will prompt other companies to create games for linux as well.

3. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

The change I'm waiting for is the entire gaming industry coming to its senses and divorcing itself from its marriage to MS. For quite some time, the gaming industry bypassed the API in favor of direct access to the I/O. Then along came DirectX and that changed.

Now they are constantly facing the issue of writing/re-writing their product to conform to the latest version of DirectX. Why they haven't gone to an OpenSource alternative, is beyond me. That would allow them the write platform independent games and open up innovation indendent of DirectX.

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Linux has some games available, but most of the latest and greatest are only for Win.
    Here is a place you can get Linux games like Unreal Tournament 3 and Prey.
    http://www.tuxgames.com/

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey lewmur,
    I completely agree.
    there is quite alot of people who only use windows for gaming and use linux for everything else.
    That is one of the reasons I still use windows.
    what are the current opensourse alternitives?
    most programmers only write programs for windows because so many people use it. thats why atm enough people are pretty much forced in the using windows.

at the end of the day once more and more programmers write programs for multiple platforms the better. the more competitive the market is the better every operating system will get.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Me too. I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of months now and the only time I boot up my Windows disk is when to play graphic intensive games. I have tried Wine but haven't yet had the interest to start to tweak it (the graphics got screwed up in COD4)
    I long for the day when games are Linux supported. The games that I enjoy I mean :) Not that I play any Steam-games (Steam never liked me and my computer) but it is indeed a good and promising step that they are looking at Linux world. I think I could live with all the problems I had with steam in Windows if that were to happen.

If the popular games starts to come to Linux, there will be alot of people converting.

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i hope it comes out. I don't want to keep going back to windows to play Wolf 3d and Painkiller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.