Value of FW Learning Threads

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Escalader, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Okay, I'm convinced:cool:

If a user is set on a tool/FW and knows everything they want to about it then they may not want or need a learning thread themselves.

It would be my hope that those same advanced users could provide answers to questions for those who lack their skill. That has happened but more would be good. An example is a question is put forward, and an answer is provided.
    But the experienced user knows that there is a better answer or an easier alternative or trick. Those contributions may come in future Learning threads.

Take care

2. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I agree that it can be a win-win situation for both those users who want to learn more and an opportunity for those advanced users to contribute their knowledge. Thank you for your time and effort put into those FW learning threads and for your request for feedback in this thread. I also appreciate the contributions from many other members of this forum who strive to make this Wilder's forum a positive experience for everyone to learn and contribute.

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Should Escalader continue with learning threads?

Yes please :thumb: And thank you so much :)

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

These threads have got me writing my own rules in Kerio, but someday I may move on to a newer (and supported) firewall. So out of curiousity, what firewall might be your "next leaning-thread"o_O

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi 19monty64:

That is great! I understand your interest in being supported I would prefer that BUT believe me it isn't as critical as blending with your other tools and meeting your functional specifications for a FW.

I ask Stem and the other guy's here about their experiences and test results before proceeding with another FW. Do you have a preference?

So no, I haven't yet decided what will be next one as I'm not quite done with Kerio, but if forced there are 3 I'm thinking about in no particular order:

1) CFW V3 revisited it's not formal retail release (not the beta)
    2) PC Tools revisted as newer versions keep emerging from their " forum based test lab"
    3) Maybe Outpost but I'm fuzzy on that one.:doubt:

6. Lundholm

Lundholm Registered Member

This approach is very interesting and could be the topic of a new learning thread.

Comodo is very much about HIPS, and Kerio 2 isn't at all.

What about combinations of a FW with HIPS disabled and a separate HIPS? I'd like to see some expert tests here.

Thanks for your efforts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.