v8.0.2.20

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by Tarnak, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I completely agree. While Lastpass is cryptographically sound and I would trust it with my passwords, I trust my brain more than any service as that way there is no single point of failure for a someone stealing a master password (despite what Leonardo DiCaprio may think in "Inception"). However, I do use Lastpass for form filling. I always thought, "How often do I really need to type in my name/address/date of birth/etc?" Apparently it is very often... so it saves me quite a bit of time :)

2. PrevxHelp

Thanks - could you let me know what the value of this registry key is:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System - value name "EnableLUA"

Thanks!

3. guest

guest Guest

Since I rely on that thing between my ears too let us hope invention of telepathy is really not imminent then! :D - I heard it once in a movie I think: "Never say never!" :D - So the word was said, in fact even twice. Quite contradictory the whole advice, I know. :D

But back to topic:

Hmmm ... if this is the right path I don't see it there on my system?

Then I did of course search for the string "EnableLUA" and it found 1 entry elsewhere, that picture is also attached.

Attached Files:

4. PrevxHelp

Interesting, not having the value would definitely explain the case. I'll take a closer look shortly and let you know when it's fixed!

5. guest

guest Guest

I have to say I used once or twice Vit Registry Fix (Pro, trial version) on this system, I guess when I was bored and felt like being adventurous. :D

If this entry is supposed to be there (even if I never used Limited User Account (?) - just the normal, default Win7 User Account!) it would be interesting why it isn't. Thanks for letting me know, of course I will give you feedback later regarding that fix / my analyzer status in a new version. :cool:

6. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Avoid things that claim to fix the registry. :( That was a good thing back in Windows 95 and such when the registry getting too big was Very Bad, but these days most registry fixers which SHOULD fix just one or two very-safe things are of the opinion that "I fixed 3 registry entries for you!" is too wimpy and so poke at a LOT of stuff they normally shouldn't. :/

7. guest

guest Guest

Yes, I know that. :cool: - But as I said I probably wanted back then adrenaline released (having no backup). :D - And so far I thought that "cleaning" with Vit Registry Fix wasn't harmful, but who knows what the reason is for the missing key and of course that could very well be the culprit!

Just to get you another shiver :D I also felt like compacting the registry that day. :cool: - That also went fine (no catastrophic incident happened). :D

And no .. my SSD-system didn't feel much faster after all that, but placebo effect is sometimes enough to be happy, you know? :D

Other people are train-surfing or sky-diving ... I do that (sometimes). :)

8. Techfox1976

Have you checked and cleared out your Non-Present Devices recently? :)

9. guest

guest Guest

News. :cool:

I thought I would take the burden from Joe and fix it myself. :D

What happened before I don't know of course, but after switching UAC a notch down (and then up again to standard/default) the mentioned registry entry came back.

And so poor new Webroot-Analyzer doesn't think anymore UAC would be disabled. Problem solved. :D - So what about that memory leak of firefox? That should scare me somehow, right? :cool: - But where is Webroot's memory cleaner, my companion in distress? :D

Just kidding. But please don't waste any more time with that missing entry, because it is back now, whatever the reason for it's absence was.

p.s.:

No. Whatever that is. :D (All devices present, just made a roll call). :cool:

Attached Files:

10. PrevxHelp

The mystery is fixed :D Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for future reports, knowing that this can happen by some mysterious unexplained action (oh, software...).

11. Techfox1976

I've found Non-Present Devices to be the number one slowdown of Windows startup. My 1100 MB/s SSD Array started up twice as fast when I whacked them. They are devices that used to be on the system but have been removed, ranging from USB stuff plugged into different ports at different times to GPU and other hardware changes. Every time the computer starts up, it checks for all of these devices, even if they will never come back.

Set a system environment variable:
    devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    to a value of 1.

Get into the Device manager by any method you see fit, then View menu, and Show Hidden Devices.
    Look under each section for things that are lighter-colored icons. In some sections (all Microsoft items under Sound and all Non Plug and Play Drivers) be very careful about removing them (Just don't remove the mentioned things), but in most places you can right-click and uninstall all the faded items with no problem even if you "screw up". A system restore point will also roll back the changes.

Maybe some day I'll bother to figure out how to put pictures inline and then I could show some examples. But for now I'll leave it to you.

12. guest

guest Guest

I believe you of course. But on this system I use here I don't have a lot of things that are not existing anymore. - In section Non-PNP-Driver ("translated") after entering via cmd "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" (is that right?) I found viewing hidden devices a leftover of ZeroVulnerabilities (that new tool) that I had uninstalled. So I have to see if computer will boot next time. :D - But interesting hint for sure that I will have in mind from now on. :thumb:

Though I have only 1 SSD (Sata II, no Raid) you are right of course: it can't be fast enough and optimizing things (getting more speed from the same hardware) is always feeling great. ;) - Things got much better when I uninstalled my other AV, leaving WRSA alone to the job, just to be on topic again. :D

p.s.: I guess for inline pictures you have to upload them first somewhere (else and then linking)?

p.p.s.: It seems I did something wrong in the beginning.
    But now finally I saw a lot of those "ghost entries" (grey) after:

Code:
    CMD as admin
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    devmgmt.msc
    -> show hidden devices
    But before I maybe play around I should make a backup, right. :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  13. Techfox1976

Backup can't hurt, but I've never had a problem with just having a system restore point. If the uninstall offers a choice to delete the driver files from disk, don't do it.

14. rinem

rinem Registered Member

After uninstalling WSA Beta Winpatrol stil shows the WSA addon:

Attached Files:

15. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Just remove it and re-install FINAL version of WSA

16. rinem

rinem Registered Member

I know how to remove it... also im a beta tester so why should i install the final?
    This is the the beta thread and you post here about possible bugs etc and after an uninstall and reboot there shouldn't be that entry left.

17. PrevxHelp

This could be caused from the browser being open during install. You can remove it manually without a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.