v672 vs 667

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shansmi, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

ok, what gives? I had version 672 installed but I saw a message from ESS that said program componenets were updated. I did an about from within ESS and it says I have version 667 installed? I went backwards?

Now I can't update anything in ESS?

here is the log...

11/4/2008 1:57:15 AM Kernel The program modules have been updated. <----WTF?
    11/3/2008 5:53:04 PM Kernel Virus signature database successfully updated to version 3580 (20081103).

I installed 672 on top of whatever was there which seems to be working but I still cannot update...

It says my Virus database is this...Update 3373 (20080821)

very!!!!! old.

Update as of 0343 AM CT,

I did this to reinstall ESS....

Please reinstall the program using the following method...

1. Download fresh new version of ESET Smart Security from
    http://www.eset.com/download . Make sure that you choose the correct version.

2. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel
    3. Reboot the computer when prompted
    4. Delete manually these folders:

for XP:
    - C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\Eset
    - C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Local Settings\Application data\Eset

for Vista:
    - C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Program data\Eset
    - C:\Users\~username~\AppData\Local\Eset

5. Delete the following registry keys.AND some registry keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eset
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eset
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\egui

6. Open Control Panel -> 'Network Connections', right-click ‘Local Area Connection’ and click ‘Properties’. Under ‘This connection uses the following items’ make sure you don’t see ‘Eset Personal firewall’ listed. If so, select it and click the ‘Uninstall’ button.

7. (optional) Now run any registry cleaners like Crap Cleaner or Registry Mechanic and hte reboot. After the reboot, reinstall ESS.

8. Reinstall your ESET software using the file you downloaded in step1 . Use typical install.

Now it is still using a very old virus database and says no update is required...

Update 3373 (20080821)2008-08-21 08:41

Win32/Adware.Antivirus2008 (2), Win32/Agent.ETH, Win32/AutoRun.WQ (3), Win32/Depot.G (2), Win32/Kryptik.B, Win32/Kryptik.C, Win32/TrojanDownloader.FakeAlert.DR, Win32/Adware.XPAntivirus (2), Win32/TrojanDownloader.FakeAlert.FK

Are there server problems?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi shansmi,

Modules refers to the individual modules, not the program (installer) version.

In Advanced mode, check in Help --> About.
    Screenshot - 4_11_2008 , 9_52_49 PM.png

Cheers :)

3. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

This I understand as it is exactly where I was looking however I know I had 672 installed. I confirmed the version after installing 672 when it first came out but it was reading 667 this morning. The log entry I point out is when a module update occurred and that is all I know. I removed ESS and reinstalled it to get back up to 672 but was still having the VD update issue experienced by many. The last problem is now solved as well. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.