v4 Availability: Suspense again...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by Henry Altaras, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Altaras

Henry Altaras Registered Member

v4 availability has been already discussed lately in this forum. I would like to point out a different aspect of NOD32 availability.

ESET marketing practices are such that when I hit the BUY NOW button, the next screen says: "You are being redirected to the local country web site!". Once there, there is no way to purchase NOD32 AV except buying a CD at a local retailer. ESET may conduct business as they see fit, of course. The issue is the long delay between announced availablity and actual availability in local stores. Last year, for instance, I had to wait two full months after announced availability before I could buy a v3 CD. This year history will likely repeat itself with v4, while my Beta license expires in two weeks.

Yes, I know I can purchase v3 now and upgrade at no additional charge, but I just want to own a v4 CD. These days people ship fruit and flowers with next day delivery. Haven't ESET local distributors heard of air mail, air freight, electronic mail? Does timely delivery mean nothing to ESET marketing?

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I can't speak to the CD availability issue - I feel your pain - but on the license, yes, you can purchase a v3.0 license and use v4.0.. there is no issue there.

Actually, as to purchasing CDs, I find them "odd" - because they are OUT OF DATE within the month.

Each time ESET releases a new download, your CD is further from being up to date. I strongly recommend you get a thumb-drive and put your installer programs on it INSTEAD - burn your own CD/DVD of the latest programs, and update it periodically if you want... (that's why a thumb-drive would be 'better' - you can write to it time and time and time again.

alternatively - just store your username/passwords - and download as/when you need the installers...

3. Henry Altaras

webyourbusiness:

Thank you for the reply. It goes without saying that I agree with you about selling software on CD. It is just that this is the only way NOD32 may be purchased in this part of the world. One has to go out to buy a CD and then, using the key printed on the jacket, download the latest update. A simple online transaction is not available.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Which nod32 website is this?

5. Henry Altaras

6. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

Surely when you activate the code on the back of the CD, and receive the username and password, you can just use these to download from eset.com download page??

7. Henry Altaras

dannyboy:

Correct. However, you have to have a CD. The issue never was that you can't download the latest release, rather that you have to buy an obsolete CD to do so. My point was that as long as you pay for a CD, why not get a current one that you can use.

The local representative informed me that they intentionally delay producing the CD by two months in order to "wait for birth defects to be ironed out".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.