V2.7 w/Seagate Free Agent USB HD?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Cosmo32, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Is there some limitation in V2.7 when trying to scan an External USB Seagate Free Agent hard drive?

I have tried to scan this drive twice and the only status I get from the NOD32 scanner is:

Date/time G: 0 0 0 Cleaning

I infer that this drive is clean, but, never see task "Completed" for this hard drive. Can someone please decode just what "Cleaning" means? o_O

No, I have not tried to do this via the F8/Safe Mode yet. :oops:

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello Cosmo32,

How large is the drive and what types of files are on it? Is the scan hanging on something or does it progress normally? Is the machine going into hibernation or sleep mode during the scan? How much RAM is installed?

BFG

3. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

BFG,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The FreeAgent hard drive size is 500GB; formatted to 465GB. Windows XP tags this USB drive as:
    FreeAgent Drive (G:) Local drive 465GB (total) / 460GB (free)

The file types question is tough to answer. This device was used to save the results of a data re-capture from a 3-drive RAID5 array I sent in for recovery back in February/March of 2009. The file stack is visible as a normal detail view of a windows hard drive. What I see appears to be mostly files related to the previous Windows 2000 Server OS. I am still searching for any/all DATA the was recovered.

Do not know if the scan is hanging. I will have to re-scan and watch it in real time. :oops:

I can not say that the scan progresses normally or not; again, I will do a re-scan and watch it progress in real time. :oops:

I do not allow "Hibernation" on any of my XP machines. And I do not allow any of the stepped features of what I believe is the ACPI function. My machines are either ON or they are OFF. I do allow the ScreenSaver to start after 5 minutes of inactivity; followed by the Panel Power Down after 10 minutes of inactivity.

The PC I have the FreeAgent USB Drive connected to has 512MB of RAM.
    The PC is a home-built Asus A7N8X-E-Delux w/AMD 2500+ (Barton) CPU that runs default at 1.8GHz. The main disk subsystem is an Adaptec 29160 with 2x 9GB Cheetahs and 1x 18.4GB Baracuda for hard drives.

I have thought of moving the FreeAgent device to one of my newer Intel C2D platforms that have 2GB of RAM. The newer platform(s) use the Asus P5Q3 m/b.

Hope this helps. I have gone to Seagate and dl'd 3 files that seem to relate to the FreeAgent device. No. I have never loaded any of the SW that came with the FreeAgent device! I was counseled that all of the CD was basically "creature features/add-ons" for the FreeAgent device. Yes. This is the first external hard drive I have ever experienced. Strange it is!

4. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi Cosmo32,

It may be a very large file or even a corrupted one that NOD32 can't get through.

You might run a manual scan and include the /crashlog parameter. If it is crashing the log will end up in the ESET directory in Program Files. The last file listed in the log would be the one NOD32 was having a problem with.

BFG

5. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Hi again BFG,
    Thank you for this reminder. Yes, I can suspect a large file, and, even a corrupted file just because this drive is a "recovery" return from my vendor.
    I do understand the manual scan re-run with the /crashlog parameter/switch.
    Call me shittish or chicken, but I could not figure out how to dig into NOD32 to find where all these parameters live. I do know that I have seen them, long ago; just can not recall now how to get at them..... o_O

Generally, I set up NOD32 w/BlackSpear's settings and then leave it be. I've been infection free for the past 37 months. I will dig around in my now old User manuals. If this involves using the Configuration Editor, then I am so screwed! Besides, the Configuration Editor only lives on my Server. This problem exists on one of client machines. I have never been able to happily play with this tool! :oops:

6. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi Cosmo32,

From what you've said, this should do it.

"C:\Program Files\ESET\nod32.exe" G: /ah /arch+ /pack+ /all /crashlog

BFG

7. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Hi again BFG,
    OMG!! :oops: I completely forgot about simple command line use. :eek:
    Truly it has been so many years of trouble free auto-magic use, I just forget most of the alternate research/maintenance routines.
    I will wind up and start your share over coffee in the AM. Once I get some status one way or another, I'll post back here in this thread.
    After 2 days of Seagate hardware diagnostics (found zip!), I sense this trouble is really data on the drive related. Much as you have already suggested. Thank you for your patience.

8. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Hi BFG,
    Success!!! :D
    The command file usage did start the scanner. :) The scanner ran for about 5-7 minutes and stopped. This was followed by a PC crash to a blue screen I could not read fast enough, but the PC rebooted properly. I suspect I just created another Restore Point. (No, I'd rather not defeat the AutoReboot feature ATM.)

In any case, I now own an ESET Crash Log........ :D It is interesting. It is also HUGE at 2912 KB!! The last file listed appears to be an old mvps HOSTS file. Hmm. I suspect that I will now spend the rest of today going into this "recovery data" and excising files that I know I do not wish to recover!

I will also contact my Recovery Technician to ask for specifics about this recording of suspected "corrupted files", so many "locked files [4]", and whatever.

Thanks again for this powerful fix. BTW, NOD32 posted "Scanning" this time instead of "Cleaning"; so, I now do not think ESET is part of this observation. Believe I now just need to go into this bulk of recovered data and just:
    1)cull out and delete that which I know I do not wish to save,
    2)save whatever data files I do not comprehend, and,
    3)copy data files I do wish to save elsewhere for safe keeping.
    Well, that is my plan.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! ESET is still tops in my book. :thumb:

9. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Firstly:
    To all the gracious ESET folks that labor long and hard to make this magic that I use: THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!
    I do not care to know how you do what you do so well! Just keep on doing your magic! :D

Secondly:
    To BFG,
    Thank you for all your help. Both with and w/o my brand new cmd file, ESET now sees and fully scans my FAD (FreeAgentDrive). Yes, today I managed to cull ~519.5MB of "not needed anymore" data from the drive. Really think that killing the old W2K boot files may have been the key (I am using WinXP ATM); but, there were many more files/directories of now un-needed stuff also......They are now history also!..... ;)
    I do appreciate the help! Thank you!

My FAD completed a good ESET scan this afternoon at 1807:03(EST). Zero bad as expected! No crashes either! It is all good.

MODS: I believe this Thread can be closed. Thank you for your service! I am good-2-go and moving forward. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.