v.10: what is the experience with it?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kdkrone, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdkrone

kdkrone Registered Member

Just wondering how stable it is, whether it does all that much more than v.9....

Thanks.

2. David07666

David07666 Registered Member

I never used TI before and installed V10 about 2 wks ago. I can't say that I've excercised it they way some others have. My only comments are as follows:

1. Backup Locations. Does not seem to work the way one would think it would work. See my post at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=154019. However, my experimentation with full image backups as opposed to folder backups indicates that it might do what it's supposed to, ie, give you a way to manage the number of generations of backups that are kept.

2. Recovering from an image: I haven't (and won't) do the acid test of restoring from an image -- too risky and I don't have extra disks to try it on. OTOH, I did create a bootable CD, booted from it, and went pretty far into the recover process, and actually did recover an individual folder

3. Documentation generally is poor. I want' more information. I expected that at least on their web site they would have more info but they don't.

4. Support: I'm frankly disappointed. I'm a registered user and put in a question over 10 days ago through the official channel on their web site and never got a response. Pretty lame.

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Actually I think their user guide is pretty comprehensive. What information were you looking for that you couldn't find?

Yes it's pants isn't it. Although if you "never got a response" I think the culprit might be your spam trap - since an automated email is always sent out soon after submission of a support request. Amongst other things it identifies your ticket number.

F.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have just bought a copy of 10 for a new laptop. It works fine but then so does 9.0 Home and 9.1 I find some of the "new options" a bit amusing but can't blame Acronis of doing whatever it takes to market the product. None of the new features are really essential.

No matter which version is used I think it is best to keep it simple and only make full images of (1) the OS and programs and (2) the data partition.

5. David07666

David07666 Registered Member

See my post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=154019 and https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=152764. I'm esp interested in understanding how to keep multiple version using Backup Locations. For example, assuming that I take a differential (or incremental) backup daily, what settings should I use to ensure that I always have 2 weeks worth of data points that I could go back to. In other words, if a file changes every day, I want to be able to get back any of the past 14 versions of the file. Note also that the doc on backup locations is not clear on what happens to the original baseline as it ages out (eg, is it deleted, is it merged with the next oldest differential, etc).

I'm experimenting to find out what happens, I don't see why they can't provide a more complete doc.

Oh, I got that, I mean I never got an answer

6. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Registered Member

It's worked fine for me, and I did put it through the mill! As for support, unlike some other posters, I have no complaints whatsoever. I used the procedure outlined on the stickies at the top of this forum and got answers <48hrs. That may not be enough for some, but given the price of the software, it's good enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.