utorrent in vm

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newbino, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I am thinking of setting up my utorrent in a vm, and configure it to always run via a vpn.

Has anybody have ant experience with this? Any general comments or suggestions?

thanks

2. 3inchblue

3inchblue Registered Member

Not sure as to why running in a VM.
    The torrent client itself would not cause malware infections while performing p2p.

3. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I think its a great idea, why not run all your daily apps like firefox and media/mp3 players and p2p programs in a virtual box/machine ?

All your is then kept away from your real windows as best as it can, all windows logs and logs galore and files are in the virtual machine/box.

For added security one can run the virtual machine/virtual box in a true-crypt partition or container there is a guide here:

https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides/how-to-create-VM-within-hidden-truecrypt-partition

This way you have good security, and if your VPN is on in the Virtualbox/machine you have good privacy as well as protection.

4. newbino

Not for security (malware) but for privacy and convenience.

When I run utorrent I do it through a VPN but this has the effect that all my web connections go through it, and it generates two problems:
    a. I have some SMTP email accounts and when using VPN they don't work outgoing - I understand that this is due to the VPN
    b. if I need to login to sites, I am logged with the VPN server IP which I would like to avoid

My thinking is that running utorrent through a VM I would avoid both these issues.

Apart from looking for best practice suggestions, my main concern is whether using utorrent through a VM I might generate excessive disk writes (I have an SSD).

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  6. newbino

thanks for your suggestion.
    apart from what the author says
    I also use my vpn for other things, so it's a keeper, and would rather try not to subscribe to an additional service

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  8. newbino

Thanks for your suggestion. I am running the latest (+-) utorrent version on my desktop and never had an issue. Can I ask you what makes this a *more stable* version (apart from using, I assume, less resources)?

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Less fluff - meaning less third party software and less options to wade through to make it work.

Read:Understand your Firewall settings.

Always render your Firewall settings to defaults when done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.