UTM Thread.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mayahana, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It appears the issues I was having with Endian are well known, documented, and unfixed. AV Scanning and Web Filtration seem to be 'broken' in it. Also the major 'theme' for Endian is - it's riddled with bugs, which is exactly what I find.. Sadly, the logical structure of the GUI made sense to me, and I liked it - but it's too buggy for production apparently. Also many of the questions on the forum go unanswered - support seems absent, even from the community.

http://www.efwsupport.com/index.php/board,4.0.html

2. Romulus6cbc

Romulus6cbc Registered Member

Hi JLD, I'm getting ready to deploy an almost the exact scenario for my small business. Cyberoam UTM + Bit Defender Business Security + OpenDNS. But now I'm wondering if OpenDNS is necessary, given it's features are covered by the other two solutions, except for DNS resolution, which will be provided by the ISP. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for your help.

3. JLD

JLD Guest

You probably are fine with just CyberOam UTM + Bit. I am now using Sophos Home UTM (free) + Various AVs + OpenDNS. I don't see OpenDNS blocking much behind the UTM, but it does block a handful of malvertising and exploits per day. Those almost certainly would not make it past my sandboxes anyway. If you are not behind the UTM, and if it is inconvenient to use the UTM VPN, then OpenDNS can be a more valuable layer. For me, at $20 / 3 endpoints for OpenDNS, it was worth it to have that extra layer. I think you can go either way. Hope this helps.

4. JLD

JLD Guest

FYI, I point the UTM to OpenDNS's servers and override the ISP's DNS

5. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Hello,
    I have been thinking about getting a good refurbished laptop or barebone mini-PC to set up a UTM system for a home network. The majority of these units have only one NIC connector. Just wondering:

1) Why are TWO RJ-45 connections required;

2) How such a system will be connected between the modem and wireless router.

I appreciate hearing from you all.

6. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

@taytong888

If traffic isn't going through it perforce, there's no way to ensure that it isn't being bypassed somewhere. Physics always trumps software. You need two connectors so that you can plug one into the switch or router, and the other into the modem.

7. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Hello,
    I should have been clearer about my Point #1. Most of the PC's out there have only ONE Network Interface Card slot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.