UtilTool Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by roger_m, Mar 24, 2015.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm have installed the most recent version of UtilTool (v3.3.74) and am quite impressed so far.

So far it has been very light. Not only is the real time protection not slowing my computer down noticeably, but it is also remains fairly light when doing scans. When doing scans, CPU use is below 50% most of the time, with only fairly brief spikes in CPU use where the CPU use is fairly high. Even with the spikes in CPU is is faring better than a lot of antiviruses which constantly have CPU use when scanning.

The user interface is unremarkable, but not enough to be much of an issue for me. UtilTool lacks the option to prompt for action when a threat is found, but there is the option to block access to threats instead of quarantining them. However what is nice is that it just takes a single click to restore a quarantined threat and also add it to the whilelist to prevent future detection. What's even better is that you can select multiple quarantined items and restore and whilelist them all with just a single click.

It is using a scan engine from Sophos.

There are three versions included a limited free version. UtilTool runs as 30 day trial of the premium version, after which it reverts to the free version unless you pay for it. You can compare the versions here. It is stated that the premium version uses multiple scan engines, but it seems to just use Sophos.

Also it's worth noting that UtilTool is published under various names such as Clearsight, Digital Defender, Preventon, etc.

I have tried UtilTool in the past, but never long enough that I had to use the limited free version.

2. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

Is this basically the same as Preventon av? Same GUI.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice that you mentioned this at the end of your post.

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Not for me,

1) When trying to add exclusions, clicking on the FOLDER radio button doesn't do anything, also, system hidden files are not shown so I have to go to Folder Options and uncheck the hide system hidden files to show them. a little inconvenience for me. Big AVs like Kaspersky, F-Secure, NOD32 all have system hidden files shown regardless of setting....

2) the interface is plain awful:

2015-03-24_173948.png

Support Ticket submitted to UtilTool

4. roger_m

@Mortal Raptor The exclusion of folders is working for me.

Not being able to see hidden file is not an issue for me as I never hide files.

5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

not talking about hiding files, I mean the system hidden files

For example, I use a program called SVP (Smooth Video Project) which places some of its files in C:\Users\All Users\SVP

the All users folder is a system hidden file and even if you have show hidden files on, it wouldn't appear unless you uncheck "Hide System Hidden Files" in folder options

now I don't want to always have that since you would see a lot of useless files like desktop.ini everywhere so I keep that setting as it is. but now comes the problem, when you wanna exclude anything in that ALL USERS folder or any system hidden folder, you would have to go to Folder Options, untick the option to hide them system hidden files, configure your exclusions, then set it back to as it was.
    Popular AVs such as Kaspersky, NOD32, F-Secure, etc, show the system hidden files by default regardless of the system folder options setting.

6. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Little update, stay away from this AV, dodgy customer service.

I requested for a refund for my 6 user license after many negative comments here, I haven't even used or activaed my license......so they reply back that why do I wanna refund if I haven't even activated my key yet? I then explained the many issues like the DPI scaling, and the fact that they lied about their Virus Bulletin scores being recent. Haven't heard back in more than 48 hours. I have escalated this to a claim using PayPal and send them 2 other emails with no reply.

7. roger_m

@Mortal Raptor I think you last post was meant to be in the Trustport thread.

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

nope, did u try adding exclusions to the All Users folder? you won't see it unless you manually go and change the folder options to show system hidden files

9. roger_m

I've uninstalled UtilTool due to excessive CPU use. After a reboot, my computer was running really slowly a minute or so after Windows started. I checked in task manager and the real time scanning process was using over 90% CPU time and rose to 98%.

10. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

you're not missing anything bro

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Could it be an update process causing the high CPU usage..?

12. roger_m

No, from memory it was the real time scanning process. It could have just been a temporary issue, but I didn't care enough about using UtilTool to keep it installed and find out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.