UTC Time!

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by godzillex, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godzillex

godzillex Registered Member

Hi,

I live in the Pacific Daylight Time zone, and noticed that TDS-3 displays (UTC: 8 ) in its log. Shouldn't TDS-3 be displaying (UTC: -7 ) for this time of the year instead? It seems that it's ignoring PC's timezone bias of -1 for the Daylight Savings Time. Also, there is a case of a missing "-" sign next to the time zone difference.

~godzillex

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there Godzillex, did you configure Windows to take care of that too?
    Mone is giving the right hour, but not exactly the right UTC time; you can use one of the scripted versions too if you prefer. And internet time seems to be ok too as far as i could understand that. For me it should be in summer UTC +2 or GMT +1 (i think) but it says UTC -1 at the moment.
    Perth doesn't have light savings time changes, they save on it all time already. :cool:

3. godzillex

Hi Jooske,

Yes, my Windows XP is configured properly to account for the Daylight Savings Time. Although, the Internet Time as displayed by TDS-3 is correct, the UTC time is not (at least not as it should be here in California)!
    We are currently 7 hours behind GMT.

By the way, isn't UTC just the new name for GMT o_O

Thanks.
    ~godzillex

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  5. godzillex

Thanks for the links Jooske.

For all practical purposes it looks like both the GMT and UTC can be used interchangeably. Here is an excerpt from http://www.apparent-wind.com/gmt-explained.html :

"...In this (the most common) usage, the terms GMT and UTC are identical. But because there are two possible meanings for GMT differing by up to 0.9 seconds, the term GMT should not be used for precise purposes -- particularly not in reference to GPS observations!"

Which brings me back to my original question: Why does TDS-3 display (UTC: 8 ), when it should in fact be displaying (UTC: -7) for my time zone o_O

~godzillex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.