Using ZoneAlarm Pro what's the best one to move to.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DCreature, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCreature

DCreature Registered Member

Hi, I am currently using ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall, but I want to change to something else. I've been told a few times that ZoneAlarm Pro does not offer the best protection as software firewall.

Which software firewall at the moment, offers the best protection, can I have your expert opinions please?

2. METAL

METAL Registered Member

kerio personel firewall i think.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

ZoneAlarm is excellent , I don't know why you don't like it . Don't trust what the others have told you because it is not always true . I would stay with ZA but would buy a qualitive router with NAT , SPI filtering and DoS filter :thumb:

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Since when did ZA stop offering the best protection? It still prety much is a leader and will continue to be so.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi, could you elaborate,.. I am just curious as to why you feel this need. (you mention ZA pro, so I take it you have purchased a licence)

6. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

It has a decent HIPS protection, preventing a lot of things from going out, inbound is impeccable, full stealth. I use it and recommend it to many people.

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

8. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I've always loved zonealarm. Only 2 gripes about it:
    1. Installing an upgrade version always causes problems for me.
    2. The app takes a little longer to load at boot up, which is not particularly pleasing. To elaborate, it takes 2 seconds from the time of being able to see the wallpaper for my antivirus software to load (mcaffee enterprise 8.0i), then about 40 seconds later, ZA will load.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I used ZA Free for a long time, but I wanted another firewall.
    I didn't like the anti-spyware part in ZA Pro, so I took Look 'n' Stop as firewall, because LnS has an Application Filtering, that looks like ZoneAlarm Free and also has an Internet Filtering, that is NEW to me. This way I force myself to learn something about rules in firewalls.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would respectfully question who ever told you that and one couldn't ask for anything more from Zone Alarm in regards to packet filtering and stands toe to toe with any software firewall.

11. unhappy_viewer

This has been explained quite a few times. ZA consists of two parts two it: The True Vector Engine (vsmon.exe) which is the very heart of the firewall and the GUI (zlclient.exe) which is responsible for sending information to the True Vector Engine.

vsmon.exe starts up as a service and is pretty much the first service to get loaded when Windows starts up and protects you right from the Welcome/login screen. Vsmon.exe continues to block all incoming connections and stops any outgoing protection as long as zlclient.exe has not started up. Thats because the engine has not received instructions from the zlclient.exe on what to allow or block so it blocks everything. Zlclient.exe is usually the lasts to load (as shown by the system tray icon) but you are always protected from the beginning.

12. sosaiso

What if the "Deny access if ZASS is not running but TruVector is" box under application control -->advanced, is not checked?

13. faterider

faterider Registered Member

DCreature,

Just stay with ZA. It offers the best protection for unexperienced (if this is the case) users imho.

14. unhappy_viewer

That is up to the user. As far as I am concerned, I don't see why that option should be left unchecked, neither does ZL. That why its ticked by deafault and the option is found in the advance settings.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

For me it is one of the best firewalls. I especially like its HIPS too much. If u want extra just put a router there in addition.

16. sosaiso

Sorry for not quoting. I was asking if

was still valid if that wasn't checked. I make sure it's checked on my systems. It was just out of curiosity.

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

;) Got the itch to change like I did huh...:) (I am no Expert but can offer my experiences)

...I finally settled on OutPost Pro similar enough in feel and look to ZA but more to my liking with versions that come out ready to use not whoops a bug, whoops another bug. Get my drift.

I am not beating up on ZA I just don't feel they are like they use to be and there are better. While not installed I have kept my 4.5.594 Pro Version and key and will likely give it to a family member so that they will have good functional protection as they will be newbie. So I still have faith in it's protection and useability. Well at least the older version anyway. ;)

I suggest you keep yours handy too. You may want to go back just for the heck of it one day. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.