using WinPatrol Plus as Hips???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

any brave person using WinPatrol Plus as Hips Protection these days?thanks any coments?:)

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

rofl..its there but i dont trust it by itself..i combine it with spyshelter:D but i do give scotty his snack though:thumb:

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for replying and i see others using it but they dont talk that much as a hips or light hips and instaed they use it as a monitor app:D

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is so light that will be nice to just run it with just an antivirus if it was that strong;) what do you think?

5. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

absolutely.. I agree with you there my friend:)

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I run it for it's monitoring capabilities (which are quite good but not great.) IMO, I don't think it handles changes in the manner of a true HIPS.

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Same here. using it with setup in my signature.

8. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I use WP + with avast! Internet Security and it works great as a diagnostics tool, but I don't think it works as a true HIPS. I have the scanning set to "real time" and when I update my existing programs it remains silent, but if I install a new program I get a bark or two.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

WinPat : true HIPS :: Chihuahua : Rottweiler

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

do you guys think it can not prevent changes to the system as they claim in it's websiteo_O

11. carat

carat Guest

Haha :D Nice comparison ...

12. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

WinPatrol is the only HIPS that I use now. It does very well protecting your system with a good AV like Avast and using your brain.

WinPatrol is very light, doesn't cause system errors and compatibility issues like other common HIPS programs.

I gave up on other HIPS programs since all they appeared to do is make my every day life a living hell. I never get infections anyway, I got tired of wearing a bullet proof vest when no bullets at all were coming my way.

Thanks.:D

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

did you tested this againts real malware?can you really recomend this as i read some users may call it a chiuhua:D

14. littlebits

Let me explain, there is no point on testing a product again malware besides just displaying results to make it look good. Testing results don't mean much in real world environments since a lot of users will never come across the malware used in the testing samples. Some that will come across these malware will be protected by basic AV or their own knowledge.

WinPatrol will help protect your system without all of the inconvenience of other HIPS programs.

If you:

Use your brain first, don't download or install suspicious programs, avoid unknown websites, don't open spam emails or click on online ads, etc.
    The main point is to avoid malware altogether, then you don't have to worry about protecting yourself against it. If you go out to look for malware then try to install it for testing purposes, then some will get pass WinPatrol. If you do the basics to avoid malware, then WinPatrol will protect you. Just remember education is the basic key to protection against malware.

Second, use a secure web browser, avoid using IE. Use a trusted AV, firewall and/or HIPS, keep Windows updated.

What your brain and your AV don't detect, WinPatrol will detect.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks your explanation help me in gaining more understanding;)
    i use IE with a hips program and i agree that hips gives alot of pop up alerts:D but some times legit websites get hacked or compromise then my brain will fail for sure it happens with drive by downloads exploits etc etc
    and i think Winpatrol is weak in this area:)

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Kind of outdated advice with the increasing amount of hacked websites and IE becoming even more secure (on Vista+).

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

:D sorry man:D it's true

18. littlebits

In my opinion, if a trusted website does get hacked and you don't know about it getting hacked, then you will trust whatever popup you get from your security products thinking they have a false positive. In the end result, you still get infected.

Its true IE 9 is more secure than previous versions, but since IE is the most popular browser, it will always be less secure than other browsers because hackers always target the most popular and they are always ahead of Microsoft.

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

20. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Features like seeing which programs were recently launched make it a strong program. Also, quickly checking/deleting auto-runs, or active processes at the click of a button is more convenient than a user checking it once a month or even less frequently than that. Say alt+ctrl+del when a program crashes, the user might think 'which program is that?'. With winpatrol, users are always aware what is running in the background.

So auto-runs + active processes + recently launched programs (+ on access at the click of a button + removal abilities + no system slowdowns) = happy user.

21. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

WinPatrol Plus is nice HIPS suitable as standalone or along with other HIPS. It is lightweight and do its job properly. I am missing it in my security setup.

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thank you friends for replying:thumb:

23. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

Right now in my other PC I'm using it along with DefenseWall... and I love it :D

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.