Using USB 2 PCMCIA Buscard

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Denny G, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denny G

Denny G Registered Member

Will an external DVD burner connected via USB 2.0 going through a PCMCIA USB 2.0 Buscard in my laptop work with Acronis True Image? Currently using Ghost 2003 with external DVD burner. A PCMCIA USB 2.0 Buscard will not work with Norton Ghost as described; must use built-in USB 1.1 (sloooow!). Equipment: HP Pavilion Laptop, 800 MHz Pentium III, Windows 2000, LiteON SOHW-1673 16x, etc., Dual Layer burner.

Does Acronis True Image 8.0 require "Activation" like Ghost 9.0, Windows XP, and Office XP? :D

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Acronis has a 15-day trial version which would let you determine if your external DVD drive will work with it.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Denny G,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We haven't tested Acronis True Image with PCMCIA USB 2.0 Buscard, however, there no reason why it shouldn't work with it. I believe Chutsman's adivce is the best to follow: download free trial version from our site and see whether you can work with the external drive connected via Buscard.

Acronis True Image doesn't require any activation, etc. Te only thing you need to do is register at our site to be able to download free updates.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Denny G

Thanks to you both for your fast and informative replies. I will give the trial version a test and will post the results here. :rolleyes:

5. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

To everybody on this post.

I have a IBM ThinkPad R31 that only has built in USB 1.1. I purchased a USB 2.0 CardBus card with a NEC chipset. Nortons Ghost could not see it. But Acronis True Image 8 (Ver 826) sees it with no problem. I have a double back strategy on the ThinkPad which consists of a CLone copy of the internal harddrive to a IDE removable drive in the Ultrabay. I also make image copies when needed to a external USB 2.0 Hard drive attached to my CardBus. via USB 2.0. The total of around 20gb takes around 18 min for the image copies.

I have been hesitant to install the latest versions of True Image ( 859 & 889) because of some of the problems that have been reported in this forum. So 826 works just great on the ThinkPad, and it also works on my desktop which has several USB 2.0 drives attached.

Storage_man

6. Denny G

Thanks for your feedback. I am currently performing Acronis Imaging testing as I write this. Yes, I see where the USB 2.0 PCMCIA BusCard DOES work, and so does Acronis True Image, so it seems for the backup. I won't know about the restore until I need it, if ever. I did have one big glitch, however, I wasn't aware that Acronis True Image could not write to DVD-R! Fortunately, I had DVD+RW disc's here and Nero InCD formatting capabilities, and all that worked out great. I noticed that DVD+R disks can be used if formatted with Roxio Drag to Disc. I am now going to give that a try. Thanks again.

Denny G. :D

7. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

Denny_g

I'm not a trusting soul like you, because, it did simulate both on my desktop and my thinkpad "LOSS OF HARDDISK". Where I in both cases did clones and Image backups, and then replaced my harddrives and attempted to recover from my latest backup. This was with version 791 (Before I purchased TI) and it WORKED WITH NO HITCHES. And thats really good. I have since performed a complete backup test with 889 and it also works (With no performance problems) I plan on publishing a benchmark between 826 and 889 shortly. After using TI for around 5 months I have found that if I can back it up (Image or CLONE) with the standalone boot CD, I can always restore it.

Storage_man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.