Using Universal Restore with 9.1 Workstation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jp10558, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp10558

jp10558 Registered Member

I am currently using b3886, I've used earlier builds before that also didn't work.

Has anyone actually gotten this to work?

I'm wondering if there is something I'm just doing incorrectly at this point. Basically, I have a Virtual Machine that I use to build a base image. This is the source/master computer. I shut this machine down, boot from the CD, create a full backup.

Then I go to a test destination machine. I boot from the same CD, restore the Image using Universal Restore. I point it at a network share with the drivers that had been extracted for the machine from Driver Genius Professional 2006. These are just the drivers in folders, I use the zip feature and then unzip the drivers to the folder structure. So it's not an exe or whatever.

The destination machine boots fine. BUT THE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD don't work. It doesn't matter if I use USB or PS/2 connections, I use different hardware, and I've tried on several different IBM/Lenovo systems ranging from a T60p laptop to an A51 desktop to an older IBM desktop.

Has anyone gotten this to work without also sysprepping the systems (which seems to kind of negate the benefit of using Universal Restore as when I sysprep it wipes out the drivers that Universal Restore injected, so I have to pre put the drivers in the image anyway)?

If not, what is the ETA to a build where this works?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

I have seen this work and have since tried it myself and it worked. In my case I restored an Image from a laptop to a desktop system. I used Driver Genius to save the drivers from the desktop system and copied them to the same drive that had the laptop image. But I did need to reinstall my wireless adapter for the desktop but the main driver, display adapter, was inserted by the Universal Restore and the desktop booted successfully.
    This was only a test on my part ... there were some other drivers that didn't get installed but they were minor ones.

I used the same build as you have.

3. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I and others have been unsuccessful to get this build to work with Universal Restore on Vista. It works intermittently on XP. The problem is that the Universal Restore option does not even appear when restoring to another similar computer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  4. jp10558

To clarify, I do get the Universal Restore Option, and it does prompt me for a driver location. The product seems to work - it obviously fixes the IDE controller drivers etc as XP boots. It just somehow breaks the drivers or interface for the keyboard and mouse.

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

If you have the mouse/keyboard hooked up to a USB hub, change to a USB port on the back of the computer and retry. It should work. If not, hook them up to a PS2 port if you have the adapter.

6. jp10558

I've taken an older physicall PS/2 connection Keyboard and plugged it into the PS/2 port on the motherboard, rebooted - and nada. Typing doesn't do anything.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jp10558,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the primary goal of Acronis Universal Restore is to make the deployed system bootable. It handles only HAL and mass storage device drivers and does not install drivers for other devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). Normally, once the deployed system starts, Windows takes control and initiates the usual first-start process. At this point, you will be able to specify drivers for other devices if Windows cannot find them automatically.

However, if you experienced problems at this point you could follow the instructions provided below to solve the issue. All the steps except for the last one should be performed on the source machine:

1) Disable autologon:

Delete the values "DefaultPassword" and "AutoAdminLogon" from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" registry branch (via Start -> Run -> regedit).

2) Collect all the necessary drivers for you mouse and keyboard, which you will use on your destination machine;

3) Keep each driver pack in the separate folder;

4) Add driver path for each driver in the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion -> DriverPath

using the ';' sign.

5) Create the image of the system;

6) Restore the image created with Acronis Universal Restore option, providing appropriate HAL and mass storage device drivers.

You may need to wait 2 - 10 minutes when you get to the logon screen on the restored system. Windows should install necessary mouse and keyboard drivers during this time.

This workaround should help you to solve the issue with mouse/keyboard after restoration.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  8. jp10558

I do not have any installed drivers for my mouse and keyboard - they come with WindowsXP. I just plug them in and they work, except after a Universal Restore.

Where would I get these default Windows drivers, and why would Windows need me to tell it where to get it's default drivers?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jp10558,

In this case please specify the path for motherboard drivers (which includes PCI/USB bus drivers).

You could also place the above drivers to the folders, which is indicated in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion -> DriverPath

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. MickeyMX

MickeyMX Registered Member

I had a similar issue in reverse from a USB keyboard mouse system to VMWare and could not get the input devices to work. Booting in safe mode took care of the issue.

Good Luck,
    Mick

11. jp10558

With Sysprep, it just uses the default Windows drivers. Is there any way to tell it to do so with Universal Restore? Is this somehow related to me building the base on a Virtual Machine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.