Using TI 10 to back up SafeBoot encrypted drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scott1971, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott1971

scott1971 Registered Member

I've been reading some of the posts regarding TI's support or lack thereof for imaging encrypted disks and I'm still a bit confused. Several months ago my manager asked me to look into a solution for backing up our laptops and I recommended using TI 10 Home with external USB drives. Since then, our IT group has rolled out and pushed to our laptops SafeBoot which, as I understand, encrypts the entire drive (not just file encryption). Note: I am not talking about the Windows safe boot environement. http://www.safeboot.com/

TI is installed and running on the encrypted drive and appears to continue to function normally without the need to create a raw sector image. If I understand the technology correctly, SafeBoot decrypts data "on-the-fly" as needed. So, when TI creates the image file, it sees the decrypted data, meaning the data stored in the image file is not encrypted.

So here's the $25,000 question: If my hard drive one day crashes and I restore from the image file that I've created (entire disk image), will it not boot because the SafeBoot software would be trying to decrypt data that is already decrypted? Or... maybe the encryption software will recognize that the disk is not encrypted and simply re-encrypt the drive.

Hmmm... :doubt:

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.