Using the /3GB Switch with NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by trmfp, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trmfp

trmfp Registered Member

Hello,

I recently purchased NOD32 for my corporate network and used a script to deploy it at logoff on user's workstations. We audited the script on several workstations with much success. After rolling it out to the general population, we had 4 complaints of the computer not allowing the user to login after it had restarted.

The specific error they were getting was that their profile could not be loaded and the default windows profile would be used instead. The computer would then just sit at a blank desktop image for several minutes and then the Logon Screen would appear again. Repeating the process would result in a loop. Could not boot into Safe Mode or login as the local administrator of the workstation. Here are the specs of the machines affected:

Dell Optiplex GX620n Desktop
    3.4Ghz Pentium D
    4.0GB RAM ( 4 X 1GB)
    80GB SATA HDD
    DVD ROM
    ATI 128 MB X300 PCI express video card
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/SP2 and latest patches

Now, since we use AutoCAD and AutoDesk products, we are required to have large amounts of ram to process our jobs effeciently. So, with the 4.0GB of RAM it is recommended by Microsoft and other vendors to use the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file to offset the kernel memory. By doing this, it actually caused a problem with the NOD32 modules (I was unable to isolate which one) but by booting to an NTFS dos editor program from CD Drive I removed the /3GB switch and it began working again instantly.

So, my real question becomes, that on the exchange server in our organization, running windows Server 2003 SP2 and the /3GB switch, will I have the same problem and is there a way to overcome this problem. I am going to try and test further before deploying to my exchange server but any help would be appreciated.

Steve Gear
    Information Systems Mgr
    Larson Binkley, Inc.

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

In the absence so far of other suggestions, you may wish to send an email to support [at] eset.com and include a link to this thread.

I'm sure I'd be glad to hear back about any resolution.

Cheres :)

3. trmfp

trmfp Registered Member

I have submitted a case for this issue to the ESET support team. Case #43715

I will post any results from them here.

Thank you,

Steve Gear

4. Ocwan

Ocwan Registered Member

I just have to ask. "Microsoft" told you to do what? haha, please send a link where it states to " trick/reduce the amount of memory your machine has so applications will work. " (Never trusting Microsoft) I would like to lobby the answer to the manufacturer of the board with such memory capability. Maybe the board maker (dummies) doesn’t know people can’t use all that memory...

5. sparx

sparx Registered Member

So can I add /250GBHD to trick it into not using my whole 500GB hard drive?? :)

6. NOD32 user

You can find the specific information you have requested here --> Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems
    Nope, can't find that one anywhere here --> Boot INI Options Reference

Cheers :)

7. sparx

sparx Registered Member

*sigh* thanks NOD32_user. :) Now I know.

From what I can find about that switch, it looks as though it affects ALL software on the computer. So if you have other applications that are not /3GB aware, it could potentially cause problems. The only real plus to using the switch in Autocad would be if you were loading more than 2GB worth of models at the same time.

8. NOD32 user

You're welcome :D

You may be right - did you see this line?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

10. trmfp

trmfp Registered Member

Can't switch to 64 bit because we have several applications and drivers that do not support it. Also, I just wanted to make sure that everyone out there was aware of the potential problem with using this switch with this software and/or see if there was a workaround to that problem.

I have removed that switch from the affected systems and have contacted ESET support and opened a case so hopefully they will recognize this and address it in future software releases for those of us with very high memory requirements. Until then I guess I am stuck with memory being allocated where it doesn't get used.

Thanks for all of the help on this,

Steve

11. NOD32 user

You're welcome - glad you have an answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.