Using Smart RAM decreases the mem usage by ekrn greatly.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by hamzah95, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamzah95

hamzah95 Registered Member

When i use Smart RAM (which comes with advanced systemcare free) and tick the use smart RAM compression technology, and then click on go>deep clean, my free mem greatly increases and I can use that before the thing Smart RAM did, the usage by ekrn.exe was 50ks and then when i did the deep cleaning like 3 times in a row, the usage by ekrn.exe drops from 50ks to 12ks.
    Will this affect my protection or anything like that?
    I can also see many idle processes with 0ks after the cleaning process by Smart RAM.

2. Proactive Services

Proactive Services Registered Member

The RAM freed would also be freed if a "normal" program was started that needed the RAM. It does, however, cause the computer to slow down as it forces ekrn to page to disk, and later when needed by NOD32, pages it back out to RAM. Disk access is *much* *much* slower than memory. The majority of free RAM could be looked at as wasted RAM!

Your "Smart RAM compression technology" is slowing down your computer :)

Your protection is not affected but your computer's speed is degraded.

3. hamzah95

hamzah95 Registered Member

OHH, never knew that, but I was beginning to see my laptop going faster, but if thats how it goes, i'll stop using it right away!
    Thanks for your time.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

very true. i see a lot of posts saying vista uses too much ram. Why do you want free ram? vista has it's faults but uses ram very intelligently indeed. minimising use of page file. i have never found an optimising program that works better than manually tweeking the pc to be honest, this is my bible http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

5. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Yeah I have a Centrino with 1.5 GB of ram using Vista Ultimate 32bit.. I got mine down to using 35-50% of the memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.