Using registry to remove Symantec

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Doodler, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Two weeks ago, as my subscription with Symantec was expiring, I jumped ship and purchased NOD32 v3.0.566.0. I'm pretty much a newbie with computers (go easy on me!), but carefully followed the Norton removal tool instructions and had no problems. I also followed the additional instructions described here: http://pc1stop.com/PCHealth.html (Tip 2 - How To Get Norton Off Your System).

NOD32 installed without any glitches. But I've read that Symantec/Norton leaves lots of remnants on one's computer, so after going through the above steps, I went into my registry, used Edit and Find, and searched on "Symantec" and "Norton". Sure enough, I found somewhere between 20 - 30 remaining entries. Three or four of them were folders with "Symantec" or "Norton" in the name. But most of them were entries that began with the letters ab and had the name "Symantec" or "Norton" in the string.

Would appreciate the advice of the experts on this forum:
    Should I delete these additional Symantec/Norton entries or leave well-enough alone?

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

3. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I use ccleaner to remove excess stuff that the removal tool misses, have a nice holiday...

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

The instruction's appeared fine with one exception, registry backup.
    Beyond that I would keep any removal's manual; file system, registry.

GF

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I used the Windows uninstaller, then the Symantec uninstaller, then did manual cleanup of the registry, and then the file system, and then did manual cleanup of the hidden device drivers.

6. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Thanks to all for their input thus far. I appreciate the responses and I'm learning.
    Question for ADAJohnDoe...It sounds like the approach I took is somewhat similar to yours (except I didn't do the Windows uninstaller first). Can you help me understand how you did the manual cleanup of the registry? In other words, how did you locate the Symantec/Norton entries? Did you use Edit>>Find>>Symantec and Edit>>Find>>Norton? And is it safe to delete any and all registry entries with Symantec or Norton in their names?

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I believe that is what I did. As to safe .... well ... I always take a backup before doing too many changes. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.