Using Primary and Secondary DNS as a backup for Tor-end DNS resolve failure

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SecureSystem, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SecureSystem

SecureSystem Registered Member

I am using Tor Firefox-bundle with Torbutton and about:config, network.proxy.socks_remote_dns set to true. But I was thinking of using other DNS servers as a backup.

(Better to be safe than sorry. So dont suggest anything along the lines "it seems like you are going a bit over the top".)

Any suggestions welcome.

Do you these public DNS's?

Google Public DNS IP Address are

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Open DNS IP addresses are

Comodo Secure DNS IP addresses are

http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/

2. SecureSystem

3. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Lol. the torbundle is already configured out to avoid dns leaks. That's why you will see 9051 in the socks4a/5 proxy field. You changed it from tor looking it up to your pc looking it up. Did it come with proxy or polipo? Those two were used in Tor to fix the dns. So use the bundle out of the box. Do not mess with settings like the dns

4. SecureSystem

I am not messing with them. Just verifying them. Also, backup mean exactly that. I am going to be using a few applications via tor but I want to backup in case. Better be safe then sorry.

BTW - google dns servers are a big no cos of the reputation of the company when anonymity and privacy is concerned. OpenDNS seems like the best solution cos I have heard they purge their records after a day or two.

Or does someone has a better solution?

5. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

No google dns is a privacy concern. Your Tor anonymity is going to be worthless using third party dns servers. Use the settings out the box. It will have privoxy or polipo in the package already configured. Socks 4A/5 do the dns look up on the servers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.