Using OpenDNS safe?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by tonyseeking, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

I have just started using OpenDNS.

http://www.opendns.com/

Is this service really safe? What do I need to know?

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Safe? Yes. Need to know? If you create account there, you can use category-based domain blocking at DNS level. This would require installing application, if I remember correctly, to update your IP to OpenDNS. Otherwise you'd need to update your IP manually there (via Dashboard) in case you have dynamic IP that changes often. This category-filtering is handy for example to people with kids.

Creating account there also allows other tweaks, such as manual domain blocking.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    yes the service is safe.
    my college use it.
    ive used it at home for ages now.

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Safe for what? Depends what you mean, which determines your threat model.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The only thing I would consider unsafe is the fact they use yahoo as their search engine, so in essence yahoo keep your searches.

That being said, I use OpenDNS myself and set it up on computers I work on. The fact you don't need an account for things like phishing/conficker protection is brilliant.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

7. tonyseeking

This is so annoying.. My IP changes all the time being dynamic, and I downloaded and install their program called OpenDNS UPDATER, but it doesn't load everytime I boot windows, as there is a bug in the "load with windows" option.

But it gives an option to install it as a SERVICE, yet that will take more resources.

8. tonyseeking

What I am unsure off is this...

1. When I visit my bank website and enter details, does any of my personal details pass through OpenDNS? Or is that just between the bank and myself and my ISP?

2. Can someone working at, or can someone who hack OpenDNS, monitor and record my activities?

3. Can OpenDNS redirect me to a criminal website, even though I entered the legitimate website into the toolbar?

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

What's different with OpenDNS than default DNS settings with your ISP? I know that Cox takes failed requests and sends them to a customized search page with paid click-thrus. I don't know if any ISP doesn't do this. I know that even DELL had that ridiculous redirect on my PC before I gave it the boot. You have no more to worry about with OpenDNS seeing your searches than anybody else. In fact, there's even some protections you don't get with using default ISP settings.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Well let's just say I'd much rather see them use Yauba, but I highly doubt that would mean much if any profit.

1. No, bank and you. Also always make sure your connection is secure, https.

2. The only thing logged is the domain you went to, they can't track specific pages, this is done for your benefit in your cpanel, not theirs.

3. In essence, yes. But OpenDNS has proven to be pretty hackproof in the past, I highly doubt anything like this will ever happen.

edit: I should actually add that some ISP's are infact MORE hackable than OpenDNS, with the whole DNS Poisoning theory.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  11. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Change your DNS servers from xxx.xxx.xxx.12 to xxx.xxx.xxx.14 if you have Verizon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.