Using one drive for OS and one for DATA

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by beethoven, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am using two internal hard drives - one for Windows and all software applications and one purely for data.
    The idea is to keep data on the drive that is less likely to die, get corrupted or affected by malware. In addition backups are easier.

One of my programs did not have an easy way to have the data output saved to the data drive. At least nothing that did not involve digging into the registry. So instead I am running the whole program from the data drive -thus breaking my own system :'(

Apart from the fact that this not very tidy, are there any other issues that may cause concern? Can you theoretically run half your programs plus windows on drive A and the remainder on drive B - not that I want to do this, just curious :D

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Beethoven

I would say not. With the exception of purchased programs and a few large photo collections, I keep everything else on the c: drive and haven't had an issue for over 5 years. You should be fine doing what you are.

Pete

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

For some programs, you might look into the command subst and assign a drive letter to a data directory in your data hdd. You can then (sometimes) tell a stubborn app to save to a drive letter. It works a charm many times.

However it can backfire. I have seen items like punkbuster refuse to operate properly if the inclusion of a subst drive is present.

Might be worthwhile for your needs though.

Sul.

4. mjgent

mjgent Registered Member

What I do for some of my stubborn programs is to leave them installed on the C: drive and add their data output folder (still on the C: drive) to my D:data backup profile. So I know that my whole D:data hard drive will be backed up plus the data output folders on my C: drive of the programs won't let me change to my D:data drive. This way I keep all programs with my o/s on the C: drive.

5. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

TIP: That concern goes away (for the most part) if you make frequent image-backups of your C-drive; which in any case is very good practice! ;)

6. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

I been doing things this way for 5 years now with a usb stick. I just use junction.exe and redirect all data folders to my usb stick. The only program that didn't work with junction.exe is svs juice. Other than that, i've had no problems so far. and the ghosting my app hdd is small and fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.