Using IE's content Advisor to block ad-sites

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JayK, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayK

JayK Poster

http://accs-net.com/smallfish/picsrule.htm

"Content advisor CAN be used to block ad sites. However the popup problem remains. But the advantages of doing this are so great that I think it is worth persisting with it and trying to find a cure for the popup problem.

Check out the [doubleclick] file. The syntax is fairly self-explanatory. A PICSRule file MUST contain a name (I found that out the hard way). Note that !23 after an IP address sets a subnet mask to block all IP addresses that share the same initial 23 bits. The rest of it is pretty obvious.

Note that it blocks doubleclick in two ways - firstly by using wildcard matching on the URL itself which the hosts file cannot do, and secondly by blocking various IP ranges which the hosts file cannot do either.

The patterns were derived from looking at the doubleclick entries in the hosts file which we have all been using. In researching the IP ranges I was rather conservative, only blocking an IP block when I could definitely identify that all sites within it belonged to doubleclick. When I was uncertain I blocked only the single address.

In the course of looking for the IP addresses to block I discovered that about a third of the entries in the hosts file no longer exist. Doubleclick seems to rotate server names very rapidly. It has its own DNS servers relay1 and relay2 to which mail for the retired servers is redirected. I suspect it has some kind of automatic mechanism for advising web site owners to update their URL's when the server names change.

I invite those interested to test this system and help work the bugs out of it. "

Sample prf files are provided for importing,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.