Using Hamachi VPN For Secure FTP/VNC/Proxy

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by apathy, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I'm an internet janitor by trade and normally nosy bosses or clients like to watch where you are going on the internet. I use Hamachi(free version) to create a private vpn network and setup realvnc/ftp server/proxy that it only accept connections from the 5.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 network. I add all my machines to my hamachi network so they can connect to each other and I can surf and access files privately away from home.

It works really well.. if anyone is interested I will flesh this out a bit further.

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

How secure is Hamachi? Is it a full VPN solution? How easy is it to implement?

Cheers
    Jeremy

3. apathy

apathy Registered Member

As far as secure, i'd say about as secure as ssh.
    Normally vpn is not for the feint of heart but hamachi is easy to setup.
    All you do is install it on your main machine, setup a network name and password, then all your clients can join that network.

It is very nice as it takes all the machines that are joined to your vpn and connects them. You can share each others files via window file sharing. It puts everyone on the network together like they all were hooked into your local router from thousands of miles away.

When you setup, say realvnc you would only allow ips from the 5.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 network and unless a machine has joined your network hamachi isn't going to allow them to connect anyway so it is a very easy solution.

Here's the link for hamachi:

Leaf is another good vpn but they are setup that you have to register with them. I don't care for it but it is good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.