Using Ghostwall with Kerio 2.15

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Baedric, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I have been using Ghostwall with Kerio 2.15 (for outgoing protection) and to this point I have not had any problems with conflicts. I was wanting to get some other opinions on this. Good idea/Bad idea?
    I really like Ghostwall but I also really like Kerio and it seems that I am getting the best of both worlds at the moment.

Bob

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Wow Bob, this is of interest to me as I use GhostWall. I'll wait for the experts to check in.

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Since Kerio 2.1.5 cannot have its inbound filtering disabled, you are doing double filtering which can slow down speeds and possibly corrupt packets. Just wondering, but why do you use both of the firewalls? Kerio 2.1.5 is an excellent light packet filter. Its only vulnerability is that it can't filter fragmented packets. This can be solved with a registry fix that stops fragmented packets from being assembled, which makes them useless and be dropped. If you want to stop fragmented packets only, you probably could set a rule in Ghostwall.

I used CHX-I for quite a while and set it to block all fragmented packets, so I should not foresee any problems with your setup. I just used mine so I could gradually tweak CHX-I and learn it still having the solid protection of Kerio.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

4. rcoughtrey

rcoughtrey Registered Member

I would aviod Kerio if your gaming or browsing. I don't work very well, slows your internet speed down by an average of 23% and causes lots of BSOD's.

I would trust me, i work for Sunbelt Software who now own the product. Wait for the next release

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Notice we are talking about version 2.1.5. Also, the current v4 of the program does not mess up speed unless content filtering is enabled.

Alphalutra1

6. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

This is exactly what I have done also. I removed GW and installed CHX-I and set it to block all fragmented packets. Works like a charm. Ghostwall is a nice program for inbound protection though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.