using fake email to register online armor free

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by wutsup, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders,

when i was trying out Online armor free 4.5 on my vista 64 bit computer, i used bogus emails to register(yes i know emsisoft is a trusted company but i just dont like giving out my email unless i absolutely need to)

i uninstalled and reinstalled online armor free about 3 times and i registered it with like bogues emails like this: 1234@4321.com.

when that registration box pops up when you register online armor free does it send emsisoft information about your computer such as your IP address and programs and your computer? should i be worried that i used fake emails?

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Worried about what? If you're concerned about ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ the software company by giving them a non-functional email address, you could just as easily create a "throw-away" webmail account on Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail/etc. and be done with it. Or better yet, just don't register the program in the first place, if you can avoid doing so.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010
  3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I'm sure Emsisoft used to require a real ISP @ not a web @ Maybe the've changed their policy ?

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

what do you mean?

5. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

the reason i posted this thread was because i wanted to know what kind of information online armor/emsisoft receives when you register with them whether it be a real email or fake email.

do they receive information about your ip address and computer info?

i uninstalled OA free but im still curious

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

wutsup, you can check what info your browser supplies here: -http://www.dtic.mil/test/- (Defense Technical Information Center site)

7. CloneRanger

Real ISP @ = your email @ your ISP gave you

Not a web @ = not a hotmail etc email @

Everyones email address has an @ in it, so i expected you would get it ;)

@ JRViejo

Re that DOD www checker, are you serious :eek:

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

CloneRanger, I de-linked the URL and added a qualifier for those who might be concerned, yet, if there is nothing to hide, that site will reveal relevant info, the kind wutsup is worried about.

9. CloneRanger

Yes reveal it to DOD :eek: Well it'll be interesting to see what they see :D

I tried it via proxy with scripting etc disabled, but session cookies active, and i got a 100% blank output :p I wouldn't do it direct though :D

@ wutsup

Please post a screenie of the test, if you do it ;)

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

That, I would not suggest, because wutsup's Host Name and IP Address would be revealed to all who visit this forum. Ultimately, we would remove such personal info BTW.

11. CloneRanger

Quite right Sir, but i expected he would remove any/all personal info before posting. I will consider myself on detention for an hour :D Skool dayz, those were the days = NOT :D

12. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

are u guys talking about me?

the only information i have in this website is my location which says United states

EDIT: im just worried that since i used fake emails to register OA free even though i have a real email address. emsisoft wont do anything about right?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  13. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Maybe wait and see? I highly recommend the GoDaddy deals on domain names (sometimes .99) if for only using the unlimited number of email aliases you get. Use them, and forward, instead of free web accounts since there are certain things you can't sign-up for with free webmail. It's .99 well spent. Just buy a domain and register it with something like like XYZmanufacturing.com (something that doesn't exist). Works every time.

14. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

how would emsisoft do anything about it? i provided them with random emails i just came up with. i still have my real email but i use it for other things so i dont know.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I doubt seriously if emisoft would care, BUT, if you ever need support, other then the forum, guess what. They will respond to the email you registered with, so you won't get a reply if they are made up emails. They will bounce at the emisoft end, and they will then have a hard time taking your request seriously.

If you don't trust the vendor to give them a real email, I would suggest not using the software, and find a vendor you do trust.

16. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree with Peter. Email is one of those things you have total control over (or you can if you so desire) and I would think if you can't trust an email addy with a company, you probably wouldn't trust what they have to offer.

17. katio

katio Guest

Are you guys for real? That's a serious question btw.
    You think they server exploits on a .mil domain? Or they need to lure you into visiting that site to arrest you at 4 AM or whato_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.