Using external usb hard drive Acronis 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rosina, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rosina

rosina Registered Member

I have the Iomega 80 GB external usb harddrive which came with the Iomega automatic backup pro software. The software does not work on my computer unless I run it in safe mode.Tried to do a system restore after a computer crash it did not work. Was wondering how Acronis version 9 would do with the Iomega external had drive? And how easy it would be to do a system restore?

Thank you
    Rosina

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

TI has worked with all the USB hard drives that I have used. It's a much easier and faster restore because it's a sector image instead of a file backup. Of course, you have to be aware that the entire partition/hard drive contents are replaced with the contents of the image. If you have new data since the image was made, that will be lost when the image is restored.

If there is new data that you must not lose, you should separately back that up before restoring the TI Image. Alternatively, you can make an image of the messed up hard drive, restore the TI image and then mount the messed up hard drive image and extract the data files using the Explore feature of TI

3. michels

michels Registered Member

Do you use any special partition on the external hard drive ? like Acronis Secure Zone?

michels

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Never, ever! You don't want to create a SecureZone on a removable drive. The security is obtained by disconnecting the drive, so why suffer the limitations of the Secure Zone? You can't copy and image from the Secure Zone and you can't burn it to CD/DVD disks from the Secure Zone.

Do not activate the Recovery Manager on a removable drive. If you do, the system will only boot when that drive is attached and running.

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Good advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.