Using compression when creating an image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Gilly, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilly

Gilly Registered Member

Being a keen photographer with alot of JPEGs saved, can anyone tell me whether data is lost when restoring these files from a compressed image.

How does the compression work -does it drop pixels from the JPEG files.

I've considered saving an uncompressed image of my hard drive but the Acronis software said it was going to take 9 hours! so opted for 'Normal' compression instead.

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

That's really more than one question. (drive)Image compression does not in any way affect the quality of your images. It also will be very ineffective in compressing JPG files, as they are already compressed. About all it will do is remove the few vacant sectors that are left over at the end of each file (un-used cluster space), maybe a few percent in space will be recovered. Same is true of video files, audio, etc. Compression is most effective on OS and program folders where there is a lot of wasted space.

3. Gilly

Gilly Registered Member

Thanks rd, sounds like I dont need to worry about loss of JPEG quality from what you've wriiten.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That's correct. While JPEG compression is lossy, the type of compression used by TrueImage is lossless. Not one bit is changed or removed between the original and the restored image.

5. Gilly

Gilly Registered Member

Thanks, am reassured.

Can I ask, in view of the compression being lossless, is there ever any advantage in using the 'no compression' mode when creating the image.

Similarly, why not have 'maximum' compression rather than just 'normal'?

6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

Speed mainly. Compression uses processor time, and slows the image process. Try it on your image files, it may be faster with no compression since they won't compress much anyway. And you may want to try incremental images after that to avoid the lengthy process.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Well, when I used Ghost a while back, I always ran into problems when I used their high compression mode. So because of that bad experience, when using ATI I've kept it at "Normal". NOT to say that ATI has this same problem (it probably doesn't). As a matter of fact, so far everything about ATI works great. But I can't afford to have that happen to me again.

I know, I'm probably worrying about this needlessly... :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.