Using Command Prompt From Windows 7 Repair CD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TerryWood, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I am trying to learn to use the command line and am a novice.

I want to use the Windows 7 repair CD that I made when I got my new computer. I want to use the command line prompt to open explorer.exe so that I can navigate to an external hard drive where I have snapshot.exe in a folder so that I can image my drive. (Yes I know there are other and perhaps easier ways)

Can anybody help me with command line syntax - Remember I am a novice

Thank you

Terry

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi Terry - I only occasionally dabble in the command line but thought I'd give opening explorer.exe a shot from the Win7 disk, both out of interest and to possibly help.

I typed chdir/d c: to get the system drive in focus
    I then typed cd windows to call up that folder
    I then typed start explorer.exe to open up explorer

...but I got a message saying it couldn't start because explorerframe.dll could not be found

I'm not surprised, however, as I didn't expect explorer to run outside Windows.

I'm sure someone will soon come along to put us both straight...

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i got the same error.
    I also tryed running portable file mangers from my usb stick and got a different error saying a subsystem isnt available

it may be possible to run the explorer.exe from the windows 7 disc but so far havent been able to find out where it is stored.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Did you try using notepad.exe command? When notepad running then click File > Open - and voila you will see folders/files, you can navigate/copy/paste/remove/etc any files or folders using this method.

5. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Creer

Yes I did try the Notepad.exe, problem with this is when you have opened notepad then Navigated to where I keep snapshot.exe how do you run or open snapshot.exe? Thats why I wanted Explorer.exe.

Thanks

Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.