Using both Mirror server on LAN and internet Update servers

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Loke, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loke

Loke Registered Member

Hello,

We just purchased NOD32 for use at our offices.
    Mirror server have been setup and client installations is distributed with the config.xml /cfg parameter setting as described in the manual to roll out clients.

Our problem is that many of our users have laptops which need to get updates when they take the corporate machine on trips where they no longer can access the internal LAN Mirror server.

Is it possible to configure (through the NOD32 Configuration Editor) the clients with more than 1 update server ? (or through other means as e.g. registry?)

If it is, would it be possible to prioritize the server selection so the clients always tried to update through the internal LAN Mirror server first ?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

in short - it doesn't look like it's possible to do that.

What you CAN do - is setup your update server on some obscure port, then set your router to forward all requests for that port to your update mirror - this assumes you have a static IP for your office location (I would hope so) - then your mobile users can access your internal update mirror from outside of the network.

I have this setup for our office this way....

regards

Greg Hewitt-Long

4. webyourbusiness

From the thread you provided:

Unless I missed something (possible) I don't see how this will resolve the issue? Perhaps I mis-read the thread - but it looks to me like it's not possible to have auto-select, or to have the laptops only resolve to the lan when connected via the lan and to use wan when 'roaming'.

How I setup our system was to setup a mirror internally - our router supports port forwarding, so I setup the router to port forward a particular port to the mirror server - this was then setup as an a-name record in the DNS for our domain - the config file would reference this server by name only, and that would always reference the server in the office.

Admittedly it uses the internet IP on all occasions, but it means the laptop doesn't have to change settings and can continue to update when out on the road.

hth

Greg

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Loke,

this will be possible in the next program component update.

6. webyourbusiness

Marcos - this is good news indeed - will that be automatic, or something that needs to be "flipped" - or via an update server "preference" or order?

Also... can we have a virus scan "pause" - as well as the "stop" button? I might be using nod32 or firing off a manual scan, and think of something I need to do which I'd prefer to have 100% of resources for - my only option at the moment is to stop the scan and restart it from the beginning.

cheers

Greg

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There will be an option to select a secondary profile if update via the primary profile fails.

As to your second question, it won't be that easy to encorporate support for the Pause option so it cannot be expected in the upcoming component update.

Attached Files:

8. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

9. Loke

Loke Registered Member

Nice.

Do you know when it is going to be released Marcos ?

Right now ive solved the problem with setting our internal DNS servers to forward uX.eset.com lookups to our mirror server instead, but if i can avoid this + get a up to date version before distributing the software to 1500 pc's it would be great.

A small note on internally forwarding uX.eset.com lookups to mirror servers :
    When the NOD32 client is set to <Choose automatically> it does HTTP gets against the subfolder "/nod_upd/" (and not the root "/" if you specify a mirror server). I dont know the reason for this (maybe hard-coded in the client).
    To solve this i specified the mirror server downloading updates at "c:\nod\updates\nod_upd" on port 8081, and then use Apache webserver at port 80 with root "c:\nod\updates".
    This way the clients will always be able to connect using any uX.eset.com servers at port 80, either on LAN or WAN.

Ok well, looking forward to the update ;)

10. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

OK, stupid question, then...
    I've been asking for the ability to define my own "<Choose automatically>" list so that a user will search on my LAN for an update. Will this do anything like that? See fake screenshot below. After it (possibly) falls through the server list, it's be nice if it could go out to Eset's site. Of course, if I have FOUR NOD mirror servers unavailable, I've got REAL problems... :D

Attached Files:

11. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

For my computers that do not leave the site, I will have one Mirror server and the secondary update server will be another mirror server. Now for Laptops who do leave the site I will have a mirror server as one and then use autoselect as the other server (if its possible).

Now are these profiles or servers that you can choose? I noticed it said profiles!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.