Using Avira and Virtualization Software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I run Shadow Defender to freeze my C drive but was thinking about running Avira premium as an extra security measure. How do you run Avira or any other AV and virtualization software? Should I install the program to another drive besides C? Or, do you install to C, then freeze your drive? Just curious and thanks.

Gary

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You can install Avira to C with no problems. You can add it to your SD exclusion list so that it will update even in shadow mode. It is really the ultimate in security as the AV might be able to neutralize the very few but real threats to the virtual system, and also warn you about what is entering the virtual volume for the record.

Attached Files:

3. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

the only problem could be that avira will alert you about not performed update or scans. cause this information is stored in the registry.

4. huntnyc

How can this problem be overcome when Using Avira with SD and thanks.

Gary

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have Avira Personal with my XP laptop shadowed by ShadowUser, which my wife uses it every other day, and occasionally starting the computer I get these alerts Leo2005 is talking about. Not a big deal, I either skip or update.

I have Avira premium with my Vista laptop shadowed by Shadow Defender, and perhaps because the computer is almost always on, I never get these alerts. I personally don't see it as a problem, but may be I haven't quite understood your question.

6. huntnyc

Thanks for that confirmation. All sounds good.

Gary

7. Jaki

Jaki Guest

What about Windows update? What happens when windows update and you restart your computer? Will the computer always stay in an upatched state without these updates?

Peace

8. huntnyc

To update Windows, I usally restart taking C out of shadow mode, update and then place it back in shadow mode. Have Windows updates set to just notify me of new updates.

Gary

9. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well you could disabled the announcement in the antivir configuration.

i don't know if there is a possibilty in shadow defender to allow some regkeys to be updated. if yes you could try to add the avira regkeys there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.