Using Archives Properly

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Chamlin, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

While I've made archives and have them stored on an external drive, I've never actually used them.

Current challenge: My dvd drives (both) no longer write to dvd-rw disks. The drives work fine with everything else (dvd-r, cd-rw, etc.). So I wonder if there is a software or registry screwup somewhere.

My secondary snapshot is from around 5 months ago. Booting to that doesn't resolve the issue. So I want to go back further.

How do I use the archives? Do I have to convert them to snapshots, and if so, how do I do that? This would allow me to go back further in time.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You can do a copy update from archives to any snapshot just as you would from snapshot to snapshot.

I do this all the time. In fact all I ever update are the archives.

Pete

3. Chamlin

Thanks, Peter. If I have a Primary snapshot and one secondary snapshot, do you suggest making one additional snapshot to use as the "landing place" to copy/update the archive to?

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I'm sure Peter will advise you on this.

In the past I have copy/updated primary to secondary.

Then booted to secondary and copy/updated archive to primary.

Then I have booted to primary to see whatever it was I wanted to see in the archive.

Then booted into secondary and copy/updated it to primary.

5. Chamlin

Thank you, stapp. Sounds like a reasonable approach as long as I keep a chart of "who is who". :p

I'll wait for a few more people to chime in with additional takes on this and then get started.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You can do this any way that you want to. You actually only need two Snapshots, the Primary and another one to boot to for recovery. I usually keep a total of three. One of them is very small, just the original install of Windows with First Defense added. I usually use that one to boot to for recovery because it boots up so quickly.

Acadia

7. Chamlin

Thanks, Acadia. I've sometimes kept older snapshots around for extra security when I wasn't sure if I could tell a software was really working the way I wanted it to, but eventually just archived those.

Wish I had known about FDISR when my system was new to have a fast bootup option like yours!

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You can. I just don't. I don't have any other working snapshots, just my primary. Secondary is strictly to boot to for working with Archives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.