using acronis to migrate files to new computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rcbmrb, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

is this possible if yes what are steps interested in moving programs and their files

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can make an image of the old computer and then load it on the new one. You will have to do a repair installation with the Windows CD. Also see Microsoft's Sysprep routine on their site.

If the old computer is W98 or XP and the new OS is Vista then you can't do it and keep Vista. There is no easy way to move programs without doing an install because of the various registry entries and copying of files to various places on the disk.

I use a new computer as an opportunity to do a clean install, get rid of all the garbage I rarely use, and refresh my memory on how I have things setup so I wouldn't even bother with the above. Also, you don't have to wonder later if some obscure error is because you put the old configured OS on the new PC.

If you have Acronis Workstation and the extra-cost Universal restore it will automatically move your stuff from one PC to a different one.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rcbmrb,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Software.

Please notice that since many programs keep their data in more places than just the program folder, moving the program to another computer will most likely result in it not working properly.
    As seekforever pointed, it's possible to move the entire disk contents (operation system together with all programs) to another computer, if the hardware isn't much different (or to different hardware as well if using Acronis Universal Restore with an appropriate version of Acronis True Image).

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 11 Home to see if the software fits your needs. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

In the same amount of detail as your post....NO.

Xpilot

5. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

thanks all wilnot use Acronis even though I have same operting sys sounds like it's risky I was able to save serials for many so it may go well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.