using a differant browser with AOL...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WhiteWhaleHoly..., Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi there,

I really wanna use firefox instead of the crappy resource sucking AOL browser. I know I can connect using AOL, minimise it and then lauch firefox but this is annoying. Is there any way I can connect with firefox, somehow dialling into AOL?

please help!

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Oct 16, 2004
    United States
    Hello and welcome to Wilders!

Without a third-party app to do this for you, you are not able to.

AOL's broswer and dial-up tool are all part of the same program. You have to use the AOL dial-up tool to be able to access your account so using a secondary dial-up tool would not authenticate properly.

I used AOL for quite awhile and never could find a way to get that to work either. I just stuck a short cut in my quick-launch and fired it up that way.

Hope this helps :)
  3. nodice

nodice Guest

Sadly, as Capp stated, I don't think you can use the Windows DUN to connect to aohell. You have to open and use their foolish resource wasting software. I guess what your doing by minimizing it, after you open it, is about the only way short of switching your ISP to a better one.
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sep 20, 2003
    Depends on where you are and what version. In the US and AOL 9.0 SE it had a dialer, which just simply connected you to the internet. Then you could use whatever browser you wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.