User-friendly private internet access?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by comicbookguy, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comicbookguy

comicbookguy Registered Member

Is there a way to have all internet traffic from a Windows machine - even traffic generated by Windows itself - sent through a fully encrypted TCP/IP VPN to another PC that serves as its "exit" node? With no possibility of leaks outside that VPN while it's in use?

I've heard of OpenVPN. But after quickly glancing at http://openvpn.net/index.php/documentation/howto.html, I nearly gagged at its utter complexity.

The ideal solution for me - and the one I think would address the "all traffic" requirement - would be something that creates a virtual network adapter. "Disconnect" my normal wi-fi or ethernet card adapter, "connect" with the virtual adapter, and instant encrypted VPN.

Suggestions?

My need for this is thwarting sniffing while using public wi-fi hotspots via laptop. I presently rely on PuTTY to create an SSH tunnel to an OpenSSH daemon running on a home PC. Meanwhile, PuTTY establishes a SOCKS proxy daemon on my laptop's loopback interface (127.0.0.1), and my laptop's clients are configured to use it. Works great, except that some client software doesn't support proxies, and for whatever reason, a few of them refuse to be captured by the SOCKS capper tools I've tried.

Something where I simply had an encrypted VPN "connectoid" that guaranteed all internet traffic going through it would be splendid.

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about it, but you can use xB VPN, which is a windows version of openvpn gui. Just drop in some .ovpn files that point it to a openvpn server and you're done.

3. comicbookguy

Along the lines of my question regarding the illusive "how to create torpark" document, I'm the type who enjoys being able to gather enough knowledge to duplicate efforts like xB VPN on my own, from scratch, using the same raw components. The simple reason is, I learn something in the process, and it offers the opportunity to customize the nuts and bolts as necessary.

I'll give xB VPN a try. Thank you. In the meantime, if you or anyone else knows of a straightforward tutorial explaining how to make this work using the essential components (OpenVPN + the OpenVPN GUI, I take it), I'd love to read it. I tend to put off actually RTFM (especially when the manual looks like OpenVPN's) as a last resort. :)

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Well, the source code for xB VPN is publicly available, and the license includes roll-your-own for non-commercial use, so go for it!

5. comicbookguy

Hmm. Alright - will have a look. Thanks again.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Comicbookguy, I have not used it myself, but Windows Vista has its own built-in VPN client. Don't know if that will help you....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.