User Account Control question!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

After installing and running EMET I realized something. The only time I'm prompted on x64 W7 SP1, is when starting my installed programs e.g. Macrium Reflect, AX64 and even the EMET GUI, which in my my mind is kind of an oxymoron lol. Anyway, why the heck don't I just disable it completely? Your opinions please!

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Do you have it set to Always notify or to Default level? If you have it set to Always notify you can change it back to Default - it will give you less pop-ups.
    You can also disable it if you don't want or need to control when programs need administrative privileges. Programs (and possible malware also) will get full rights without any pop-up.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

If you ever get a UAC prompt when you didn't expect it, what would you do?

There are known ways to evade UAC prompt on non-max setting that Microsoft will not fix.

UAC involves other aspects than just "the prompt," so if you really don't want to see UAC prompts anymore, it would be best to keep UAC on but set it to auto-elevate.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

For what it's worth: I decided to disable UAC on Win 8, because I got too many useless alerts. If you're using HIPS then you do not really need it. Also, a lot of older apps (not designed for Win 64 bit) need to run as admin otherwise they will not work correctly. :)

5. guest

guest Guest

UAC works pretty much as a simple application boundary. When a program requires an administrative privilege it has a better chance to destroy the operating system. True, it is imperfect and has been bypassed in studies, but enabling it is still a better idea than disabling it IMO. At least you will have a chance to prevent intrusion when there's an unsigned process wants to elevate when you are in the middle of your browsing activity.

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Do note on Windows 8 disabling it is actually equivalent of auto-elevation while on Windows 7 it is completely disabled (not recommended).

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes correct, you can not completely disable UAC on Win 8, because of a design change. I guess this is a good thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.