Usenet finds refuge in Tor's darknet

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by nightrace, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

2. I no more

I no more Registered Member

I fear that Tor will be too slow for most users. This technique might just make it unusable for a large percentage of the user base.

I've never heard of tor2web.org before. Are the speeds comparable to using Tor normally or does it speed it up in any way? It seems promising for putting blacklisted websites back online without bothering people with setting up Tor. But I think reasonable speed will be a requirement for most people to put up with it.

3. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

Not sure why speed would be that big of an issue as Usenet forums only host .nzb files which are like torrent files. They are very very small around 2 or 3kb. Then the .nzb file operates a bit like a torrent file it tells your Usenet reader what to download. So the actual downloading of the media whatever it is is done on your actual internet connection and not Tor. At least thats how I am seeing this.

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yeah, I suspect more torrent sites will do this in the future. However, Tor is a bit short on bandwidth, so if more sites do decide to do this, they better be contributing some bandwidth back to the project.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Interesting way to stay online, but it's only available for TOR users.

There are plenty of alternative websites as well, so the censors will never win.

6. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

As the article says you only need to replace ".onion" with ".tor2web.org". There is no need to be a Tor user. Alternative sites can be just as easily blocked or have their domain seized if they are not hosted on a darknet. This is about people taking control of the Internet rather than expecting lawyers and law makers to protect their rights and crying about it when they don't. People need to realise that governments don't own or control the Internet. They just want you to think they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.