used winbuilder with VistaPE but get black screen with arrow

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by amb7247, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amb7247

amb7247 Registered Member

I get the black screen with an arrow after I choose vistaPE from the list. After I choose it it start to laod the vista files, then I get the vista is now starting splash screen then presented with the black screen with the white arrow.

I did this twice checking and double checking all my selections. I tried to use my vista DVD (pre-SP1) and tried to download the Windows AIK and I get the same result. I even went from 1024x768 to 800x600 but that didn't fix it eiher. There has got to be something I missed but I'm not sure what it is since I followed the bulding the VistaPE guide and adding the acronis trueimage 11 script I got from mudcrab.

2. mustang

mustang Developer

I've recently upgraded the scripts so they work with VistaPE 011 and 012. With a pre-SP1 source, you need to stay with using version 011. With the new scripts it is no longer necessary to check the "Mount folder with programs as drive Y:" box. Please uncheck this box and try again.

You may also have a driver issue. Try adding the driver for your hard drive controller using the AddDrivers script.

3. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

A black desktop when booting into VistaPE is indicative of a permissions issue with the build. In order for WinBuilder to build VistaPE properly it needs to be in a location on your PC that does not have user permissions. Locating the folder in your "My Documents" area of the disk or on the desktop will not work properly.

The folder needs to be located at the root of a drive. You should move your WinBuilder folder to C:\WinBuilder or D:\WinBuilder and try again. If you currently have the folder on your desktop then you'll get the result you describe - a VistaPE build that boots to a black screen.

4. Faust

Faust Registered Member

I can confirm what K0lo says as I made the same mistake only this week. Moving Winbuilder into C: Programs as K0lo suggests did the trick.

5. amb7247

I see. I'll try that. I had it located in (user)\Winbuilder

6. amb7247

Everything seems good now. Makes me wonder what other programs I can add to VistaPE. Acronis ran like a charm and alll partitions did show up. Did a backup through VistaPE.

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Good deal! If you built from a Vista DVD (not the Windows AIK) then you could consider adding some of the network apps. I like adding PENetCfg , File Sharing, and Remote Desktop for Windows networking support, Explorer Vista (+IE) and Explorer Tweaks to add Vista Explorer as the shell and the IE web browser, VistaPE Expansion Pack and Tango Icons for VistaPE for a nicer appearance. Just remember that network support will not work if you build VistaPE from the WAIK.

Experiment and have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.