Use Verify Option in TI 10.0??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by data7, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. data7

data7 Registered Member

I am getting ready to do a full backup (image) to my USB drive, and as I read through the documentation I realize that there is an option to verify the backup as it is created. Are there any pitfalls to using this option? (such as greatly extending the time for the creation of the image file)

Thanks for the help!

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Please, don't even think about not verifying. The point is to know that the image you made is good. The time to know it is now. Not when the computer is trashed and you need to restore. That would be a terrible time to find out that you do not have a backup after all. Time it takes is about 70-80% of writing time, or was for me so far.

Validation can be done any time. Though I believe they might be TI version specific (I'm kinda new at this myself, but I think that's what I read)

Make sure to also make a CD to boot from and select both Full and Safe options.

3. data7

data7 Registered Member

Thanks for the help!

Regarding selecting both Full and Safe mode, I read in another post that Safe should only be checked if Full gives problems. I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

Regards

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Validation or restoring is, in general, not version specific. However, if you try to validate an archive made with TI9, build 3567 or later with an earlier build it will fail since the file format was changed at 3567. Build 3567 and later can read older archives, so it is backwards compatible. I don't have TI10 but I don't think the file format was changed with TI10.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

That is correct. The Full mode uses a Linux environment to execute the TI program and sometimes there are inadequate device drivers and it fails. TI Safe mode uses DOS rather than Linux and does not provide USB, Firewire and perhaps other device support so generally it is useless for storage devices other than internal HDs. It also appears to be very slow if it works for you. Having said that, some motherboards have support for USB in their BIOS such that Safe mode will provide USB access.

If you have trouble with Full, the best thing is to find out why and have it corrected or build a BartPE bootable CD using the TI plug-in. (There are two available, one from Mustang and the other from Acronis which is included in your distribution file if you do a Complete install.) The BartPE CD method has the advantage that it is Windows based so it has access to the Windows drivers and you can add updated or special drivers to it when you build the CD. Changing the TI recovery CD is not possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.