Use Unallocated Space

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by dkervin, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkervin

dkervin Registered Member

I am using Partition Manager 10 Server Edition. Recently I added a new disk to my server and wish to add the unallocated space on this disk to an existing volume. It seems this wouldn't be difficult, but I can't seem to find how to do this. My OS is Windows 2008 and all my disks are basic. The volume is wish to add the unallocated space to is NOT the system drive.

Thanks

Dennis Ervin

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Unless I misunderstood the question:

I don't think you can span a partition across 2 hd's.

You can span a volume - but you need Dynamic disks for that - which bring their own complications.

Depending on what you want - you might find this is the way forward:

To assign a mount-point folder path to a drive by using the Windows interface :

In Disk Manager, right-click the partition or volume where you want to assign the mount-point folder path, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Do one of the following:

To assign a mount-point folder path, click Add. Click Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, type the path to an empty folder on an NTFS volume, or click Browse to locate it.

To remove the mount-point folder path, click it and then click Remove.

Further info in Disk Management Console Help under "Assign mount point"

Also : Assign a mount point folder path to a drive

Overview of Disk Management

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello dkervin,

Are you adding additional hard drives to a existing RAID? If you are, you need to check if your raid controller has the ability to add additional hard drives and expand the existing array without having to rebuild. This is done at the raid level from the controller. For instance, if you have a RAID 5, and you want to add an additional hard drive for additional space to the existing array, make sure that your controller can do this. If it's possible, Disk Management should present the unallocated space at the end then Partition Manager can expand the existing partition onto unallocated space. Partition Manager does not operate at the raid level.

Like SIW2 mentioned, if you are seeing the existing hard drive and the new hard drive as separate disk, the only way to 'link' the two is convert to dynamic and disk spanned.

Some controllers do not support such expansion, then you would have to backup the system, rebuild the array, and restore to the larger array.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.