use TrueImage to migrate across RAID hardware ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tullaian, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullaian

Tullaian Registered Member

I'm trying to determine if TrueImage will allow the following migration to be done without requiring a full reinstall.

I have multiple systems all running RAID 0 with Windows XP SP2 in which the RAID controller is via the on motherboard controller. I need to install a new motherboard in the computers which will result in the loss of the RAID controller and usually require a full rebuild of the array.

I have availiable a NAS with plenty of space so can take a full copy of the entire array (one PC at a time) but under a normal backup/restore or Ghost image restore the difference in RAID control hardware will result in a failed restore.

I saw mention on the LSI hardware forum that TrueImage is able to get around that particular issue ?

In an ideal world what I'd like to be able to do is to backup the current system, replace motherboard , install new off mb RAID controller (so problem doesn't arise again) , install extra HDD (to allow move from RAID 0 to RAID 5 for this system) , re-initialise array and then restore image. AND not have to then spend 20+ hours reloading everything.

Is that possible ? I'd settle even for keeping the same HDD and RAID 0 in the computer if that made it easier.

General advice is usually that RAID hardware change = rebuilt array but this product semed to offer a glimmer of hope that I might be able to escape that work :)

2. Tullaian

Tullaian Registered Member

Sorry some more information.

Obviously the problem is the lack of the o/s understanding about the new RAID controller in the image being backed up. That is what prevents products like Ghost from being able to restore an image.

If I build the new array /format it but don't load Windows onto it , assuming I could get to the NAS would a restore from a TrueImage backup/clone/copy whatever actually result in a bootable Windows system ? The answer will be no because the o/s won't have any driver information for the new controller so won't even recognise the drives.

That's the bit I am trying to understand if TrueImage will allow somehow that restore to work well enough to get Windows to the point it will allow the new driver to be loaded ?

I can see it might work if I was able to load the new controller card and its drivers (even with no drives attached) prior to doing the image potentially, as then the restored image would have drivers in it for Windows to know about the controller.. but I'm still not sure it will result in a bootable system install.

any advice ?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tullaian,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Acronis solution for transferring of a system to different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.