Use Swappable Hard Drive in Enclosure for Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by redou, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redou

redou Registered Member

Hello. HELP requested. I've read on this forum and others about PROBLEMS with external hard drive backup systems, especially when it comes time to restore.
    Does it make sense to purchase an INTERNAL hard drive that is SWAPPABLE with
    the one in my computer and put it into an EXTERNAL USB enclosure (with a fan) I'm thinking if the RESTORE is a problem then just plug it in place of the original. Planning to purchase ACRONIS 10 also. Any thoughts on this scheme from computer LITERATI would be more than appreciated. Thanks. Redou@i-55.com

2. aoz

aoz Registered Member

I use external drives (pre-configured); I use internal drives in external cases; I use external drives in removable hard drive drawwers.

An IMPORTANT item is the USB box that holds the drive; its USB circuitry is important.
    I've found some no-name brands of boxes that do NOT work well; I have onther brands (ads technology, western digital) that work well, reliable

but I've had good luck with most of hte scenario's above.
    nick

3. redou

redou Registered Member

To AOZ. Thanks much for your timely reply. Redou.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I use one of these with drives in three drawers.

http://www.startech.com/Product/Category.aspx?MLID=7&WCLID=62&WCID=190&c=UK

Images are accumulated on an internal slave drive.
    My main drives in the drawers are updated by swapping the current main with one of the backup drives and then running a restore. Because the original drive is now the backup there is no need to run any validations ever.

The backup images are run automatically with no user input required.

Xpilot

5. redou

redou Registered Member

To Xpilot. Your input and time is appreciated. Redou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.