Use of Passwords for PC

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by beethoven, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I read somewhere that the use of passwords for log-on to individual pc or pc in a network is not as clear cut as I thought.

Obviously a password for log-on does prevent authorised access to the pc by people physically present. However the article said that with respect to a network of "physically secure pc", it is better not to use any passwords. Supposedly without the use of log-on passwords, threats via the ethernet can at best only access local user accounts but not access any admin functions. So the recommendation was not to use a password provided physical (local) security was not an issue.

Is this correct and can someone provide a bit more info on this.

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, was it this article? http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2004/06/17/158806.aspx

I'm not sure exactly what it means, but I remember having it in my favorites :). Perhaps someone can provide a more detailed explanation.

3. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Innerpeace, yes I think this was the article I stumbled across.
    Just like you would like to have some "second opinion" on this statement as I certainly was surprised to read this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.