Use memory freeing programs to make computer run faster?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JayOfTruth, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

no. the motherboard have also have a limit on the amount of memory that can be installed.

the OS does have a big role tho. winxp (32-bit) supports 4gb but it can only recognize 3~3.5GB. if u want a full 4gb, youll need to use windows xp x64.

some newer motherboards do have an option to let windows xp (32-bit) use 4gb tho.
    it should. i dont see why not.

2. True Orient

True Orient Registered Member

There have been two tweaks that have worked for me with discernible results:

1. Start|Run|msconfig|SYSTEM.INI|[386enh]|new| "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1"|Apply|OK|Reboot
    2. Right click My Computer|Properties|Advanced Tab|Performance Settings|Advanced Tab|Change virtual memory|Set C:\ to no pagefile|Dedicate a partition to a "System Managed size" pagefile

(Create a partition of approximately 1.5X your physical RAM where you can put your pagefile. Set the rest of your partitions to "No paging file." By making this partition pagefile exclusive, fragmentation is avoided. Note that there are those who believe that a pagefile of 1.5X is too much for systems with 512MB RAM or more.)

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Here is another page of some tweak myths with explanations:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

I used to use clevercache. I used to belive they boosted my computer. Until I once put in an backup without it, I was beliving I had it installed and was happy with performance for a long time. When I noticed it wasnt installed I installed it and could not really see any difference. The boost was only in my head :/

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well the author recommended a previous (free?) version (5.5) of cacheman that lacked automatic memory release. The program was recommended more for its cache control and opimization.

6. Meriadoc

I dont really know cacheman only what I've read in program reviews. So in the free you had to release memory manually, oh okay. :)

'recommended for cache and optimization'

there is a lot of optimization myths also, but I cannot comment these cachemans 'tweaks'

edit : just looked at the home page
    'You don't need to purchase expensive computer memory in order to speed up your PC - download cacheman instead'

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Cacheman is meant to do settings like AutoEndTasks, which is a bit difficult to do manually.
    I spent a few houres looking for those settings in reg, when I decided to abandon Cacheman.

8. Meriadoc

Yes there are always some reg settings I change also, and I can see the benefit of a small program to do the work for you but I dont think some of the tweaks stand up on first look.

9. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I think, you have telekenitik power... :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

wow thank you for confirming this, I thought I was crazy for a while :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.